News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Pulling 1950 Steering Wheel

Started by fmackan, February 25, 2024, 10:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmackan

HI there...I own a 1950 Series 62 and just pulled the steering wheel for restoration.  If you don't have the proper puller from those years, you have to have a work around because of the horn contact.

In my research in the forums, I found this handy article all the way back from 2013 that showed one work around and it involves modifying the retaining nut and then using the nut and some different style bolts to inch the wheel off a little at a time.  The mod is needed because the retaining nut blocks the threaded holes.
------------------------------------------------------------- 
Posted by Jay Friedman
- November 11, 2013, 05:44:24 PM
The article below from the '49 Cadillac newsletter might help as the '49 and '50 steering wheels and steering column are almost identical.

http://www.1949cadillac.com/category/interior/steering-wheel/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to use my universal puller but cannot use a universal puller as you are used to doing on a 1950 or any other year where the brass horn contact rests at the top of the steering shaft as you could damage it or crush the insulator underneath that keeps it from grounding on the shaft.  According to the 1950 shop manual, there was a special puller that would thread onto the steering shaft to allow you to pull on the wheel and break it free.  No idea how to find one of those today..GM tool J-1859

So I modified the nut according to the below article below.  After threading it back on the shaft and lining up the holes, I added a brass nut as a spacer (its just sitting on modded retainer nut) and a modified washer over that brass nut so nothing would contact the horn.  It gave me a surface to push on with my universal puller.  There was no danger of damaging the horn contact.  Worked really well!

So see the old article from the 49 Caddy wheel for one method and my pictures for my method...and happy pulling

Francis
Francis Mackan
Ontario, Canada
1950 Series 62 Sedan (6219)

Jay Friedman

I think either of these 2 methods would work for steering wheels and horn contacts from 1942 to 1950, which I think are set up in the same way.  Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

fmackan

Jay you have to love your advice helping out all these years later...these forums have always been a wealth of knowledge for me

Francis
Francis Mackan
Ontario, Canada
1950 Series 62 Sedan (6219)

Jay Friedman

Francis, it was Art Gardner, The Caddy Wizard, who invented the washer-head bolt method to pull steering wheels.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."