News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Seville: Under Dash Mystery

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, March 03, 2024, 04:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi all,

I'm debugging an electrical problem under my dash (now that I removed the driver's seat, thanks for the help) and I've come across a number of "non-standard" electrical changes of course.  I'm trying to sort out the "improvements" from a prior owner and make repairs more in line with good electrical work (versus lots of electrical tape).

Anyway I cam across the attached item and have no idea what it is.  It's plugged into a connector.  The grey thing is stamped "Mexico".

Any ideas?

Gary

V63

It's an audible buzzer, in 1979 Cadillac went to a cool door bell chime, 12v had a solonoid 'striker' that hits a xylophone metal bar.

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Ahhh!  That makes sense!  Thank you V63.

Seville Life

That's a little confusing if you don't mind me saying.

That is the ignition key/driver's door buzzer. When you open the driver's door with the keys in the buzzer, an angry sound, buzzes and the Stop Engine Temperature light glows as a bulb test.

If your engine overheats while driving the first warning is the Coolant light glows. The bulb also glows while you're starting the engine as a bulb check.

If the engine metal temperature increases dangerously, ie, loss of coolant, the Stop Engine Temperature light glows and the buzzer sounds.

ALL '76/'79 Sevilles have the seat belt chime. That's a xylophone bar in a black box, that uses a rubber hammer to tell you to fasten your seat belt. It's managed by a timer device bound up in the harness above and to the left of the steering column. The dash warning light is also controlled by the timer. I think it chimes/light on for about 10 seconds?

Do you have an Owner's Manual, all of this is explained in that, and in the workshop manual, the '77 version for most '78 things. The other book for electrical work is the 1978 Cadillac Seville Troubleshooting book, this is a life-saver where Seville wiring is concerned. Paul
Paul Bedford