News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 60S Window sills

Started by Barry Wheeler #2189, March 15, 2005, 04:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Wheeler #2189

I just finished installing the LH front and rear walnut window sills in my 1941 60S. I was given the burl walnut veneer by Bob Slaughter when I bought the car. It sure looks nice compared to the flaking veneer that was on the car before. Now, all I have to do is do the RH sides. These will go nicely with my newly done dash that will be installed as soon as the weather breaks.

Morgan Murphy, No. 17409

How troublesome a project was it?  Do you have pictures?  Id sure love to see your car and your handiwork.

Morgan

Barry Wheeler #2189

The main part was getting started. First, I had to glue together the lower strips that had separated over the years. Then, using lots of razor blades to keep the edge sharp, I chipped away at the veneer until it was all off. (Without maiming myself.) Actually, the hardest part is getting a straight line on the new veneer to put up against the black divider strip. I held up the next piece this afternoon, and found that I am going to have to re-do the straight cut. I dont have a 35" metal rule, but I think I noticed a piece of finished oak under a bench this afternoon that might work. I clamped the veneer to a board, and then put the straight edge on top, also clamped, and then used a box cutter held vertically to make the cut. Ill try to get a picture of the rear door, if nothing else to you. The car is down with a short right now, so I cant roll it out to have a whole car shot. (Just a plain old black 20 foot 60S...Looks good at that distance!)