News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

92SDV

Started by Art Archambeault, March 20, 2005, 07:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Archambeault

Have come across a beautiful 92 SDV touring sedan and am wondering if any of you fellas could give me a heads up as to what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.   Art.  PS have joined the club but have not received number yet.

Steve Crum 20999

If you can take the word of a 93 SDV owner I can help. Biggest issue with these in the rediculous air strut system which GM pulled their backing on about 30 seconds after they approved the system for production, and usually fails in short order. A piece of black tape over the "service SSS" warning light is the cheapest solution, did mine about 40,000 miles ago.
The electronics are fickle in these, if anybody has tried to add any aftermarket electronics to the car ie; stereos, theft prevention, etc. just walk away. I wont even get into the "Patricia zone"!
The auxilary transmission cooler is prone to develop a crack in the lines going into the coils. This is an easy fix, just mount a Hayden 10,000 pound rated transmission cooler on the front of the old one and plumb accordingly. The power steering cooler is mounted under the car behind the right front wheel and thus gets all the road crap and this subsequently corrodes and leaks, I just bypassed mine. Other than the normal car quirks exclusive to each car, These are a well built car as one would expect from Cadillac. Properly maintained, the 4.9L engine is practically bullet proof and very strong for its size.
Chances are you will be most satisfied by the ride, handling and performance of one of these. IMHO

Robert Meyers

Greetings:

Weve owned 1992 Fleetwood Fwd for about 3 years. Love it, very comfortable, powerful vehicle, reasonably economical fuel economy.

It is hard to work on, but Im sure there is worse. Gave lots of blood changing a failed water pump. Gave move changing valve cover gaskets, especially that rear one!

Some expensive parts Ive replaced were front wheel bearings c/w ABS sensors, plastic wheel centers..obscene!

Front struts failed, computer controlled ones apparently NLA.

Fitted standard Monroe type, live with the warning light on the dash.

All in all, more positives than negatives for me. Lots of people here have helped me with it. (Mike J. you know who you are!..thanks!!)

Good luck with it.

art archambeault

thanks for the reply.  He  wont budge off of 3300 down from 3999
and im at 3150 and I want him to replace the very hose you mentioned. how much is it to replace that hose. thanks  Art

Robert Meyers

Whoops, almost forgot,

Both of the plastic fenders on our vehicle have cracked, from the cutout for lamp monitor indicators down.

Gives the car a really shabby look.