News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Splash Shield Attachment

Started by Gary Schiebe, March 26, 2005, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Schiebe

I am in the process of doing some work on my 1955 Coupe Deville and will replace the rubber splash shields between the inside fender panels and front bumper.  They are stapled to the inside fender panels.  After removing them Im not certain of the best way to re-attach?  I could use fender washers and sheet metal screws but that isnt original.  Any tips on re-stapling or manually aligning holes and pushing staples through the rubber?
Thanks,
Gary Schiebe
Plymouth, MN

Bob Kazawic

I knew a Gary Scheibe from Control Data, are you one in the same?
Bob

Russ Hobden

I have done the same to my Cad justlast week.  Have also restapled the splash rubber pieces onto the inner fender wells of the front fenders of other cars.  First I cut the new ones from Masticated rubber (available from Steele Rubber. Some are already cut to size and available there.)  Then I got the proper staples from thelocal hardware store.  Make sure they are the correct width between the legs of the staples.  Most will fit perfectly.  Try to find stainless steel staples.  The length of the legs I use is 9/16.  They are the easiest to handle since you are manually putting them back in one by one.  
Line up the rubber to the gravel shield and punch thru the rubber with an awl where the staples are to go.  Push one staple through the holes and into the metal shield.  Then, from the back side and using a pair of long nose pliers, grab one of the legs close to the metal (you might have to push the staple in with your other hand)and give it a half turn in the direction away from the holes.  Then do the same with the other leg only turn it in the opposite direction.  The result looks very much like the original except they arent laying as flat but they clinch just as well.  You might have to use your awl to punch the old holes in the metal if the staples wont go thru.  Sometimes Ive actually found where the original staples were put too close to the edges or only one leg went was holding the staple so I drilled new holes with a 1/16 drill bit.  
Other than using a heavy duty pneumatic stapler as they did at the factory I think this is next best.  Yes, you could drill larger holes and use screws and nuts and fender washers but using my method is just as easy with a little practice and looks more original.
Good luck.  Russ Hobden #1235

Gary Schiebe

Thanks your information.  I had already cut my splash shields from masculated rubber and will take your recomendations.
Gary Schiebe