News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Choke question

Started by ChrisTabat, April 15, 2024, 02:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisTabat

My question is a variation on several others out here,  but hopefully I can get some advice or least confirmation that I'm on the right track.  I have a 1968 DeVille Convertible,  that I've owned since 1986,  and has been "in the family" since new.  I am 99% sure that the engine, carb, manifold, etc are all original.  The car runs well most of the time but my issue is about 5 minutes during warmup.  The car starts immediately and runs well.  I can kick off the fast idle and choke with a stab of the gas pedal and it continues to idle smoothly.  As soon as I try to drive it and touch the gas pedal,  the fast idle and choke re-engage,  and it starts to load up.  I can throw it in neutral, stab the gas pedal and kick off the chock/fast idle only to repeat the cycle until it full warms up.  Once hot,  it runs great again.  I'm guessing from the other threads that the spring in my divorced choke is no longer working right,  but finding a replacement spring is next to impossible.  They are mostly expensive NOS parts that may not be in any better shape that what I already have.    I see an electric replacement is available from Mike's carburetor parts but I'm also seeing mixed reviews on them.  I also saw a thread with a link to a spring on quadrajetparts.com suggesting it might work.  Any reports of success or failure with this spring?  Thanks.

https://quadrajetparts.com/choke-metal-thermostat-spring-1251f-p-1389.html
Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR

TJ Hopland

I would start with an inspection.  If you can't see in the well remove it to make sure its clean in there. It is a well so it can collect all sorts of things that could either physically interact with the spring or maybe insulate it so the heat transfer is slower. 

If its all clean and looks to be in good working order then I would take a good look at the main throttle shafts and pivots of all the linkages.  You may have something warn and flopping around too much so its catching when it shouldn't while you are still in that transitional stage.

If that all looks good then I would grab the manual and check but not yet make any adjustments. If something appears off keep checking the rest of the procedure to see what else may be off and see if you can see any reason for it to be off.  You don't want to just start adjusting stuff without knowing how it got off in the first place.

If nothing looks way off then maybe it just needs a little tweak which I think is done with the rod from the spring.  From memory I think it pushes up?  So unbending it a bit would make it get a little higher a little sooner.  IF it pulls then you would want to make the rod shorter.  If longer is what needed you can try washers under the spring part, that will give it a bit of a head start but that will also make the well less sealed so it may run a little cooler?

What often causes the issues with these divorced setups is the thickness of the carb base gasket. So many different brands and so many applications it doesn't matter the exact height these systems are the ones that end up suffering.

The electric can work but to do them right its a fair amount of wiring and a new oil pressure switch assuming your car just has a light.  If its got a gauge its a T and a new sender. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Daryl Chesterman

Is your choke vacuum pull-off working?  If not this could be the problem.  Mike's Carburetor shows they have the pull-off.
 vacuum pull-off

If you scroll down a little bit, you will see a link on the left side that says "instructions-electronic", which you can click on and it gives all of the instructions for a full rebuild of the carburetor along with the appropriate adjustments.

Daryl Chesterman

ChrisTabat

Thank you for the replies and excellent suggestions.  I've owned the car for 38 years.   This has been kind of an insidious issue over the past 10 years or so.  I'd start having problems like this,  straighten the choke rod a bit, and it would be fine for a few years.   The choke rod indeed pushes up to open the choke,  and I have rod about as straight as I can make it.   This all led me to suspect that the spring was slowly losing its ability to relax and push open the choke.  Just took the car to the body shop this morning to have it painted.  They're using it for filler work,  so it may be a while before I can actually work on it again,  but it was loading up on the 6 minute ride over there,  settling down only a few blocks before I arrived.    But I have been doing body work myself with a lot of dirt so I will take the spring out and clean everything thoroughly in that well.   I believe the vacuum break is working to some extent but replacing the vacuum break for $17 is a no-brainer.  Shimming the spring is a great idea.  I can wrap some foil around the base to minimize heat loss just to verify the fix.  Finally,  yes I only have the warning light for oil pressure.  Sounds like that might be a last resort. Thanks again.
Chris Tabat #31293

'68 DeVille Convertible, '75 Eldorado Convertible, '71 Chevelle SS Convertible, '11 Camaro SS Convertible
Bella Vista, AR

TJ Hopland

The assembly is held in the well with 2 bolts so you just need to stick a couple washers under it to raise it.   I suppose you could try cutting out a gasket as the spacer because that would then maintain the same gap all the way around so the air flow would remain the same. 

Those vacuum dodads did different things over the years and depending on if there was one or two but if it is a pull off that is just forcing the choke like 1/4" open as soon as the engine starts. It doesn't do anything for the rest of the operation.

If you go look at your 75 the oil pressure switch has 3 terminals on it. One tab is still the light which is now named oil/choke.  The other two terminals close when there is oil pressure so key on power to one terminal then if there is oil pressure (engine running) the other terminal sends power to the choke coil.   They did this so if you had the key on for some reason it would not start unwinding the choke till the engine was running.  Probably not the end of the world these days but was a nice feature. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason