News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Safe reliable way to clear up headlight plastic lenses.

Started by 59-in-pieces, March 06, 2024, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

What is the best way to bring back the clarity to headlight lenses.

There are quite a few suggestions right down to lightly sanding the lens and then coat them with a secret sauce.

Also saw a hard to believe spray coating, rinse, wipe off - clear as a bell.

Anybody have a safe reliable way to clear up the plastic lenses.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Steve:

I'm not sure there's a good answer to this. The best I've seen are kits like Wolfgang's that include a sealant/coating to use after you've polished off the cloudy stuff, which can last for a few months. You definitely need to put on some kind of protective coating/wax, or the cloudy will return quickly.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

David King (kz78hy)

I bought a kit from "Mothers" progressive sand paper grits and polish with applicator ball that goes into a drill motor.

I used to to polish the "Eldorado" badge on my 55 front seat.

The link is similar to what I got, it is sold everywhere.

https://www.pepboys.com/mothers-powerball-4lights-headlight-restoration-kit/product/188753
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

dn010

I have done many with Meguiar's ultra finishing polish (210) - can be found on amazon, with no problems. You don't have to use rotary tools, you can just put some on a rag and use it that way. What you don't use on lenses you can use on the paint / vice versa.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

59-in-pieces

David G., I think you are right about the need to further seal the lens going forward.

Dan, you use the polishing method - grit - but how often do you need to repeat without a sealant.
I would think that if the name "210" is the grit, that sounds way too heavy/strong, and maybe a wet/dry emery paper of 6,000 would be easier on the plastic.
I don't know - what do you think.

David K., The Mother's sound mighty cheap at $7, but does it work along with the sealer for a goodly time.
I fear It's kinda - you get what you pay for thing.

Have fun,
Steve B.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dadscad

I've been using Meguiars PlastX polish.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

V63

The clear lenses originally had a very thin clear coating of UV protection. Once this is gone the deterioration accelerates.

I finally, resorted to sanding the lens fully with #800 wet to remove existing oxidation and respray the entire lens with catalyzed automotive clear,
 (of the base coat/clear coat system). These finish's have UV protection. Be wary of any clear product of spray can nature as it is NOT a durable finish and not Catalyzed.

Avoid car 'waxes' and silicon products as further detriment to the plastic. Automatic car wash use products that generate enhanced deterioration.

David King (kz78hy)

The lens use Polycarbonite material, very good stuff, same as your eye glasses.  All the polish does is remove the blemishes of use off the original material.  After polishing, it should last as long as the first go around.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region