News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

How do I Repair a pot metal Defrost or Heat or Vent arm on a Cadillac control

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 10, 2008, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Has anyone here successfully repaired a heater or defroster or vent control arm on their Cadillac?
I was moving one of them on my 1961 control and I guess that the cable was frozen and the arm snapped.
I have the whole dash apart now and I want to get it done.
If the arm didn't snap I couldn't have gotten it out of the front panel slat. I have to figure that out too.

Help!!

Jack

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441 on April 10, 2008, 04:58:17 PM
Has anyone here successfully repaired a heater or defroster or vent control arm on their Cadillac?
I was moving one of them on my 1961 control and I guess that the cable was frozen and the arm snapped.
I have the whole dash apart now and I want to get it done.
If the arm didn't snap I couldn't have gotten it out of the front panel slat. I have to figure that out too.

Help!!

Jack
[/quote
04-10-08
JACK, Sounds like it will have to be welded and replated. Try oregon replating
phone number 503-232-7416 Talk to Gary If it can be fixed, it will come back looking better then new.
Good Luck,Jim
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I was actually able to make a template of the heat arm, then I cut one out of the same thickness sheet metal, chrome paint it and use JB weld & screws to hold the chromed tip on the end.
It works fine and saved me the expense of finding a used control (for now) as long as it lasts.

Jack

PS:  I got in touch with a real nice guy named John who just sold me a used working complete control unit for $20.00 including shipping.
So I will keep one of them for a backup. (we all need backup's don't we)