News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Wanted original rear filler inserts for 74-76 Eldo nice used or NOS

Started by collector, May 21, 2008, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

Im not so concerned about the chrome edging as I am about having nice gm original extensions. They can be used as long as they are soft and not broken. Please email me direct if you happen to have them. Thanks John   jirutenberg@aol.com   

collector

I found nos for the side panels now I just need the horizontal one between the bumper and the trunk.

76eldo

None of the repro fillers fit like the original parts, but I have a question.  I don't think there is an answer, but I will ask it anyway.

1.  If you get NOS fillers, what makes them suitable to paint and install on the car?

2.  Do these parts break down just due to age, or if they sat on a shelf for 30 years, are they really as good as "new"?

3.  Do these parts deteriorate from exposure to UV light, heat and cooling, moisture, or all of the above?

4.  Will NOS parts last about as long as they did when new, or will they wear out at a faster rate because even though un-installed, they are old.

5.  How come the vendors can't take NOS parts as patterns and make good ones?

Here is a page I did on fillers:

http://www.sheffieldgarage.com/fillers.htm

I did get them painted and I installed them, and made them look nice.  The car was subsequently sold, and a lot of modifications had to be made to the mounting holes, and the brackets, but I did get them on.

Good luck with yours.

Brian

PS...The only way I was able to get the chrome plastic beading off of the original fillers was to pour hot water on them from the instant hot water unit in my kitchen sink, then wait about 10 seconds, and the beading pulled right off.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Brian, I'm only going to respond to your #5. I think you know the answers to the others & maybe #5 also. For some reason MOST of the people doing repro items are idiots. And this goes back 40 years ago to a guy doing rubber products. It seems pretty basic, get a NOS part & duplicate it. Right? They can't seem to do it correctly. Is it economics or stupidity? I've never been able to figure it out. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

collector

No, the nos are just as good as when new if kept in an area that isnt hot or any uv light. The ones I bought are perfect. I just want the original for the tail light surround now. The replacements are horrible. The car is all original except for the extensions and low mile to boot so I hate to have any modifications if at all possible.

76eldo

Well that's quite a find.  I would be interested in a whole set of NOS fillers for my 76.

Regarding the bad fit on the repros, I think it has to do with the material.  The originals were a pliable material, almost rubbery.  The repros are made in ABS plastic, which is rigid.  Some are available in fiberglass as well.

When the original parts are bolted in place there are metal reinforcements that keep them in the proper shape, plus they are bolted to the quarter panel/front fender/rear panel. That gives support and rigidity to the rubbery part.

At one point, Ted Holcombe, a noted Cadillac parts vendor, told me that better replacements, closer to the original materiel, were being worked on, but that was 2 years ago, and I have not seen anything new regarding that.

You can make the repros work, with considerable effort.

I have photos, and will add to the webpage shortly.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

collector

I find the front replacements on the75-78 are really really excellent and fit really well if worked with. I find your right about the rear ones they are HORRIBLE.  The shape isnt the same they just dont fit no matter how much you work on them. That's why I am willing to pay for NOS. I was so lucky and I didnt mind paying for them. I now need the rear extensions between the trunk and the bumper. They always have waves and never fit to the bumper. If I cant find nice used or NOS Im going to take off my bumper and use a heat gun and try and mold them to fit low so when I put the bumper on they will push up tight against the bumper and make a good fit. I think having the NOS end extensions are key as the ABS wont allow the center sections to lie flat and you get this horrible gap and a horrible gap between the filler and the trunk. I think if you remove your bumper and get your drimmel out and remove any excess material and drill new holes so the fillers can move either up or down or side to side. Then heat them to fit then put the bumper on the car and see how your work turned out. If perfect then paint them. If not keep working on them until you get it right. I would also attach with some special epoxy a braket that will clip to the back of the bumper when you putit on the car they that pull in the abs extension so they fit tight to the bumper instead of standing so far away from the ends. It might take a few hours but if you cant get originals its worth the effort. My friend bought a really nice low miles car and they did a decent, I say decent job of making the extension fit and they painted the car with them on. Well, the stand out so far from the bumper that you can see where they attach to the body of the car. Sad too. The car is so nice and all you see is the defects not the beauty of the car. I love them so and hate the fact that no one has made them right. Also, I must tell you, I think the reason no one will make them to match is because of cost and between you and me I find that the Cadillace and Lincoln people just arent willing to spend the money that it would take to recoupe the cost of making them correctly. I dont mean anything against my fellow Cad members but some of the nicest people in the club are on fixed incomes and cant afford to do what they want to do. I totally empathize and understand. In the mean time I sure hope someone had a nice used set I can buy and use.

76eldo

There is a ton of adjustment in the brackets that the fillers screw into.  Don't try to bend them, they look like metal, but they are plastic.

You can:

1.  Slide the threaded clips from side to side.
2.  Tilt the brackets down or up.
3.  Raise or lower them
4.  Move them from side to side.

It's very tricky, and I found that if you clean everything up really well, and loosen the bolts, you can move the brackets around quite a bit.  On 76's you have the tail light opening to deal with too.

Once you have them in the right position, gently unscrew the filler and remove it from the bracket.  Snug the bolts down, leaving some movement possible, and re-mount the fillers.  That's the way I did it.

Good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

collector

Ill figure something out if I cant get the factory inserts. You have that beautiful chrome surrounding your tail lamps. I don't know if I am supposed to as well. I cant find a picture of a 74 rear end. If so I will have to find those for sure. That will make it look more original. I'm just not sure of how it is supposed to look. I know yours has them I just don't know if mine does.

76eldo

I did a Google search for 1974 Eldorado, they do have them, and there have been some on ebay lately.  They are plastic, chrome plated, and are very fragile.  They usually go for about $100.00 each side!

I have one NOS pair reserved for my 76 convertible.

good Luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

collector

I have the NOS ends extensions and all the NOS chrome plastic moldings. I just need the horizontal rubber inserts and IM done. I looked at the 74 book and they didnt show the chrome metal bezel surrounding the tail lamps in 74 only 75-76. They would look very nice on the 74 but not correct so I will have to live without them. Hope to find a good set of the tail lamp rubber surrounds.

collector

UPDATE. When it rains it pours. I found a complete set of NOS rear extensions all five. The guy wont break up the set so I had to pay big. Well, now I have a perfect used set of rears and also a NOS set of rears. Didnt expect to be so lucky. Im going to be selling them one set at a time on Ebay. I find that if you have the correct rear quarter end extensions then the rest fits like a dream. No huge crack between the trunk and fillers anymore and the bumper fillers finally lie flat because the end extensions dont hold up bumper fillers, so they dont look warped any longer. I also found a full NOS set of the chrome and a few extra pieces as well.

Rich S

I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for--those fillers make me glad I decided to restore my '71 Eldorado Convertible, although I really like the other, newer year models, too. Good luck!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Rich S on May 29, 2008, 10:04:53 PM
I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for--those fillers make me glad I decided to restore my '71 Eldorado Convertible, although I really like the other, newer year models, too. Good luck!
I'm with you Rich.

That is why I wanted the '72 Eldo.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe