News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Help! I'm losing Gas!

Started by Gary (CLC 18197), October 15, 2008, 06:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary (CLC 18197)

When the tank is full on my '66 DeVille Conv I tend to lose gas from the vent tube.  I would think there is some sort of valve to prevent this from happening.  Any thoughts on what might be going on or what replacement part I may need?

Gas is way too expensive to be dumping it on the ground every time I come to a stop!

Big Fins

Not being a wiseguy, but the laws of inertia are at play here. There is no way to stop the fuel from being released, unless you don't fill the tank to the top.

Now if you can find a one way check valve that has very little resistance to it, you could use that. Or...plug the vent entirely and use a 'vented' gas cap.

Fins

Gary (CLC 18197)

So are you telling me that it was normal for these cars to have this condition when the tank was filled?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

What is normal?  My 66, and just about every other one I have seen has this same characteristic.  It is a function of the "S" tube that serves as the tank vent.  Perhaps they tried something new that year.  My suggestion is that you don't fill the tank completely. Afterall, rules for fuel tank emissions, and vapor recapture were only something in the minds of the Engineers 42 years ago.
Actually, the main symptom of this system is gas leaking when parked on an incline, so if you are leaking gas after a stop perhaps you might look underneath and check your tank and all the connections for that leak.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jaxops

Not to butt in, but just a thought....I went through a lot of headaches replacing all of the rotted hoses on my car.  Your vent tube may also be deteriorated.  Just another thing to check, you know?
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA