News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Best way to get mouse stink out of car

Started by TJ Hopland, November 03, 2008, 11:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I have just got a 75 Eldo back on the road after at least 2 years of sitting.  If I recall correctly it smelled a little when I bought it in the winter and drove it to where I stored it.  There was no real signs of any new infestation the last couple of years I stored it.  The last few weeks while I have been working on all the mechanicals I have had the windows open as much as I could and been driving it with the windows down and the fan on hi.   Floor carpet is gone.  Back seat is out at the moment.  Vacuumed everywhere I could including vents.   Had blower out and no signs of anything in there.   Been spraying 'pet odor' air freshener around regularly. Cant pin down the smell to any certain area its just a general animal old car smell.   Its going to be too cold to have windows open very soon so I need to try some more stuff soon. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Make sure the rodent didn't deposit himself, or herself, within the confines of the Heater/A/C ducting and the like.

Could even be stuck inside the Heater Core area.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupe

Try Febreze or the scent killer sprays deer hunters use. My wife has had good results with Febreze on old fabric items with musty odors. She bought a mink stole on ebay to have in our '57 at shows, it had a very musty odor. She used scent killer on the stole with good results.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

wayne #17075

Try throwing a dead cat in there, maybe it'll chase the smell out! Seriously, I've used Fabreeze with good results. Hopefully it's not in the heater coil..hard to remove but eventually it all goes away...if you wait long enough.
Wayne

Robert Meyers

TJ,

I live in a very rainy climate with damp winters. Often, a new aquisition or a vehicle I haven't used for a year or so will have a damp, musty smell.

I place a dehumidifier, an electronic (ionizing) air cleaner with an odour sponge sitting in it's air intake, and a small heater inside the car and run a cord out of a door. The heater is there to keep the coils on the dehumidifier from freezing up.

I leave this for a few days, checking occaisionally to empty the dehumidifier. The ionizing air cleaner with the odor sponge seems to do wonders for any sort of smell.

While this doesn't address your problem direclty, I hope it or some variant, may prove usefull.

Keep well,

Robert
1988 & '89 Broughams. 2 X 1992 Fleetwood. 1956 Packard Patrician. 1978 Peugeot 504 Wagon. 1975 Ford Custom 500 Wagon, 1972 Lincoln Continental.

Joe 12138

T.J...... I had the same problem with a '76 Eldo that I bought that had sat outside for a few years. Nothing seemed to work well longterm.  I finally found the dead rotten carcasses. There is a void between layers of metal......kind of a "double floor pan" under the seats, including the rear one. As I remember, it's about 3/4" thick, and dead mice were in there. Pull the seats, carpet, and insulating material.  There was also one in the passenger door.; must have gotten in through a rusthole and couldn't get out. My problem (2 years worth) was that you can't kill the smell if the source is still there. Good luck!....Joe

J

Cadillac got me!!!

Fred Zwicker #23106

An open bowl of Vanilla (from grocery store) left inside the car (while car is parked) will absorb the odors nicely. 

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Glen

I’ve been told a bag of charcoal will do the trick.  The easiest way is to lay the bag on the floor and split it open then peel it away from the charcoal.  Leave it there for a while and it will absorb the odors.  I have not tried it myself but it would be easier than ripping the car apart.  But like Joe says you have to get rid of the source. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the ideas.  I have carefully sniffed around the whole interior and there is no area its stronger including the vents.   So far I have one of those baby ozone things (was only $4 so I didnt think it could hurt) and some wax blob called something like 'stink sponge'. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

I have used the charcoal method before with some success.  Also an open container with a few scoops of fresh coffee grounds will work.  First be sure the original source of the smell has been removed, i.e. dead mouse and/or the mouse's nest.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

John Sorenson

The open container of fresh coffee grounds works well for the old musty smells that are imbedded in upholstry.  A dead rodent is difficult unless you can find it and remove, then the coffee treatment. 

35-709

Mouse pee on fabric or upholstery padding, etc. is forever.
:(
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Kay CLC#7630

When I was a kid, my father bought a car and the interior smelled terrible.  We later found a soiled baby diaper stuck under the rear seat.  Dad cut an apple in half and put one half on the dash and one half on the rear seat.  He closed up the car totally for about a week.  At the end of the week, he removed the dried apples.  The smell was gone.

Cheap fix.