News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1979 Seville Flexible Steering Coupling

Started by Tod- NTCLC, February 24, 2009, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tod- NTCLC

I am having a difficult time trying to locate new flexible coupling steering shafts for my 1979 Sevilles.  This is the part of the steering shaft just outside of the firewall that has a flex joint (rag joint/u-joint) that allows the lower part of the shaft to flex down toward the steering box.  Over the years, I have picked up several out of salvage yards, but they are getting few and far between and are frankly in about the same shape as the ones that I already have.

My problem has never been with the shaft or joint itself, but the joint is sealed in a rubber boot (similar to a front wheel drive boot) that holds a pre-load of grease, and it is this boot that tends to split after time.

Surely, every other GM vehicle of this decade suffers from the same boot failure, but I have yet to find a source for a replacement boot, or barring that, the entire flexible steering shafts.  

If anyone knows of a source, or of a logical way to replace the boot with something, I would certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance -

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Todd,

All the material is is Rubber Insertion approxinately 1/2" thick.

The best place to purchase such item is from an Industrial Supplier that deals in Converor Belts.

Simply, with a series of Hole Punches, inside and outside Carpenters Chisels it is possible to create a replacement virtually identical to the original with careful "Carving".

For Rivets you can use Bolts of the same size, and the original bolts.

Make sure that you don't overtighten the bolts, and retain the earthing strap as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Bruce -

Thanks for the reply - I think we may be talking about two slightly different things.  On older cars with a "rag joint", your fix is the way to go (as a matter of fact, most parts stores have "Help" brand pre-packaged, pre-punched replacement rubber for these joints).

My issue is slightly different, and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand posts - here is a picture of the full joint, and then a close-up of the tear in the factory sealed grease "boot".  If I could find these new, it would be great, but surely some users have found a fix for this - it must be affecting most every car of this vintage by now.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Todd,

I re-read your initial request, and still think you were referring to the Rag Joint, but from viewing the picture, I can see what you are actually meaning.   A rubber dust seal sleeve.

I realise that the part would be hard to obtain, but if you really carefully cleaned the area up, there is a Loctite procuct that is specially designed for hard to glue Rubber, and that product is Loctite 424, and is available in 25 ml size containers under Part Number 42423.

There isn't much strain on the rubber, so it should glue together successfully.

Just fill the boot with some grease, but not too much before sealing up the last of the hole.

But, actually doing the repair in situ will be a very awkward task.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon