News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

headlights, 12 vs 6 volt

Started by Matt 12861, July 11, 2010, 10:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

any one know an easy way to tell if a head light is 6-12 volt?  the large round sealed beams in early fifties cars.  There are no marking on the one in question (that I can see anyway), i can measure the resistance across it but don't have a known bulb to compare it to.  Where is a good place to get these?  I need a 12 volt.  Autozone has a high dollar halogen version,  all I want is a pair of cheap sealded beam 12volt bulbs.
Matt Givler #12861

Dave Shepherd

Should have 6 or 12 on the back of the bulb, Napa should have what you want.

J. Gomez

Matt,

This info could help you identified the type of headlamp in question, if yours is the T-3 seal beam type. You can find the standard dual beam H6024 on-line or at the local auto parts for about $9.00 and up.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Multiple_Years/Guide%20to%20T-3%20Headlights/tn/Guide%20to%20T-3%20Headlights.jpg.html
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

35-709

NAPA as Dave said, Autozone, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc.  You should be able to get them at any store selling automotive items.  Any plain old sealed beam headlight you get these days is going to be 12 volt (look at the box it comes in).  6 volt sealed beams are going to have to be special ordered in most instances.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Yes, you won't find a 6v on the shelf. Why don't you want the halogens? They are immensely superior to the standard lights.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Matt 12861

I was going the cheapest.  If halogens are worth the extra, I guess I could give them a try.  I never thought about walmart.  thanks.
Matt Givler #12861

Otto Skorzeny

If you never ever drive your car at night and aren't at all likely to be caught out after dark then the cheap ones will work fine.

The halogens provide as much illumination or more as you get in modern cars. they're usually about $12-$15 each for the Sylvania or GE lights.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE