News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Speed sensitive temperature issues on Northstar

Started by okccadman, June 23, 2010, 11:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

Driving my 2002 ETC around town with the a/c on from 0-35 stop and start traffic its fine, runs right at 1/2 on the guage.  It will idle forever with the a/c on and stay at 1/2.  Get on the highway or steady cruising 40+ mph it steadily climbs all the way to hot and the "engine hot - a/c off" warning comes on.  Exit the highway and get back to 35mph start stop and he slowly goes back to 1/2 and teh message goes away and a/c kicks back in.  Any ideas?  Air in the system, radiator flow, water pump?  Ive never had a car get hot and cool right back down so quickly.   I know Northstars have head gasket issues but this just seems bizarre to me.  NO antifreeze in the oil andd no oil in the coolant. 
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Dave Shepherd

Was any work done to the car prior to this happening?

okccadman

Had the notorious oil leak repaired.  I may have found the issue.  Looks like it may be an air bubble.  I'm told that Northstars are "self purging" and dont need to be "burped" like some cars.  The Titanic was unsinkable too!  I found it is a common issue for the purge line from the coolant tank to the water inlet can get plugged or restricted causing a similar problem.  This line may have been moved or kinked during the repair.  I will check it tonite.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   So was it the purge line?   Before you got to that part I was wondering if perhaps something like an air dam or deflector was missing or broken and that changed the airflow at higher speeds.   Thats my current theory on why my 73 runs hot going down the road but is 'normal' at idle.  On that car I know that all those rubber and plastic bits are missing. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Sweede64

Check the waterpump belt, (at the end of the forward faced cyl head) sometimes i would com loose, the impeller on the wp can also bee deteriated.
Thomas Karlström