News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Id this motor?

Started by TJ Hopland, July 10, 2010, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Guy on another board posted this picture asking for help identifying this.   General word is its Cadillac but no confirmation yet.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jim Stamper

Definitely a 1927-1933 LaSalle or a 1927? -1935 Cadillac. The exhaust manifold may be a clue. No crossover for the exhaust manifold? The center hump on that could have a LAS on it if a LaSalle. The HC on the heads means "high compression"  The bore and stroke dimensions would lend some information too.

Warren Rauch

Some numbers would make this a lot easier. The engine number (from parts book) is on " the top side of left rear crankcase support arm" Then just look it up in the club Membership Directory. It is about a 1929 ,but Cadillac or LaSalle? If the engine number can't be found numbers on the distributor would help. On the cylinder head below the" HC" there could be a number and below it near the bottom edge another number. Since the one head is probably off the bore would help too. Warren

TJ Hopland

There was one more photo

Warren Rauch

The third picture helps.The 53 means this engine has a 5.3 :1 compression ratio. The lack of a number below it (the number would be 328H, LaSalle engine) says it is a Cadillac 341-B engine (1929). THe 5.3:1 ratio was used as an option on LaSalle 303 and Cadillac 341 (A)   engines ,but those engine had a different style casting. For 1930 the bores of both engines were increased and the compression ratios lowered.If someone put the wrong head on this one,your guess is as good as mine. Warren

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the info.  I will pass that info on.

Johan Boltendal #158

1928 if the gearbox is still the one that came with the engine, the last non synchro box and the lock at the rear of the cover
tells the year of the box.
I think it's a LaSalle engine like Warren does

TJ Hopland

So what was the lever with the release handle in the transmission?   A parking brake?  Hi/Lo?

Otto Skorzeny

That's a dual range shifter, I believe. My 1946 series 75 had one of those.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Johan Boltendal #158

as you suggested a parking brake handle, Johan

TJ Hopland

Was there some sort of brake drum in the trans?  Or was it a pawl like autos?  Or did it just do something like lock forward and reverse in at the same time so the result was locked drive shaft?

Otto Skorzeny

Obviously I'm confusing it in my lame brain.

I thought that was the dual range shifter. Of course I bought that car when I was 10 and sold it when I was 15 so I never got to drive it.

I know it had a lever like that. Would there have been a second gear shift lower down from the other one?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jim Stamper

That is the parking brake lever and release handle. It actuates rods and linkages to the rear brake drums.

The serial number on a 1927 LaSalle is on a boss on the right hand side of the crankcase about midway back from the front, just below the cylinder bank, stamped into the aluminum. Can't say for certain where other years are, but there too I suspect. The number in 1927 starts with a star and then the numbers 20 then the sequential number of production. The zero after the 2 is a place holder to allow for larger production numbers.  So the number on my old LaSalle phaeton was 204700. When production went over 10,000, as they did later, the zero place was then used for the 1.