News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

49 door handels

Started by mphowlett, July 11, 2010, 11:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mphowlett

I have a total of 12 49 outside door handells,unfortunatly I dont have four that are not pitted to use on my car.Anyone sell reproductions or is it better to rechrome what I have?Any suggestions on witch platers to use?

Jay Friedman

I'm not aware of anyone who reproduces these.  For repair of the pits and rechroming I have used Dan's Polishing Shop, Adamsville, Tennessee for this type of work.  Alternatively, if you want to buy handles in good shape you might try Joe Cutler at 49caddymanemail addresses not permitted.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddy Wizard

It might be possible to "turn them upside down" to hide the pitting and reveal the better (under) side.  I heard from someone once that you could rotate the handle relative to the shaft, perhaps by gently heating the boss of the handle receiving the shaft.  If you are inclined to try this, try it out on the very worst of the bunch first to see if is doable.  If so, then go ahead and do it as needed before getting the handles plated.  That way, the smoothest surface (before plating) will be face up, yielding the best results.

But this is definitely one of things to try on a junk part first -- I have never done this myself.

Art G

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...