News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1939 LaSalle Frt.Floor mat

Started by oldcarman002000 #22725, September 16, 2010, 12:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarman002000 #22725

I am looking for a front floor mat for my 39 LaSalle Flxible Hearse....

Fred Pennington 25635

Bob's Automobilia has them for a Buick . Virtually the same mat, order it without the precut holes and it will fit your Lasalle
They are not on their web site you have to down load the catalog or order a catalog from them. I believe they are under $300.00

Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

oldcarman002000 #22725

Hi  Fred       I will get in touch with them..     ThankYou      Karl

Fred Zwicker #23106

I bought mine from Bob's and it is perfect.  When you order, be sure to order the mat that is not pre-cut and without holes, as otherwise it will not fit, as was designed for a Buick.  Also before cutting the holes for the brakes, clutch, gas pedal and dimmer switch, it is a good idea to set it out in the sun to flatten out and to get warm for easier cutting.  I made many patterns before cutting, but it won't be easy.  I would allow most of a day to properly cut, trim and install. Take it easy - little by little, as you can't put material back on!  Attached pictures show the mat - one shows the brown rubber mat before I cut and installed the carpet inserts.  There are very few 1939 LaSalles with the correct mat.  I you care to look, I have a web site devoted mostly to my 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe restoration.  See www.fzoldcars.com

Hope this helps,
Fred Zwicker
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

oldcarman002000 #22725

Hi  Fred        Would you mind giving me an address of Bobs, havent been able to find them..     ThankYou for sending those pictures of the floor mat.  You have a very beautiful car, should make Jay Leno envious....   Thanks Again      Karl

35-709

Karl,
Put Bob's Automobilia in your Google search engine and you will find ----

www.bobsautomobilia.com  Hold it!  That doesn't seem to be working, try this ----
http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/index.php

His number, taken off his website, is 805-434-2963

Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Fred Zwicker #23106

Karl,  Geoff's 2nd link seemed to work, but I would phone Bob's to be doubly sure that you get the correct mat - it should be medium brown in color, with the Fisher Body Logo in a small square in the center and positively no holes pre-cut, as the Buick holes will not line up with the LaSalle holes.  Also better that they send a mat with the sides not cut either, as you need to trim to fit your car and sometimes the kick pads in front of the doors on each side have been replaced or have been bent in or out slightly.  It will take a LOT of fitting to get it right. 

You will want to make many test patterns in advance and then gradually start cutting. I used a large pair of Wiss tailor shears, as small scissors will be unable to cut through the heavy rubber, and an X-Acto knife will not leave clean edges.  Experiment with some scrap material first as it won't be easy.  Installing carpet is a lot easier than cutting rubber mats.  You may want to remove the brake and clutch pedals and gas pedal for a better fit and easier installation - then cut the holes after you have the sides all fitted and in place.  When you order, ask how many are left in stock, as it is possible (not necessarily probable) that it might take two tries to get it right. I do all of the upholstery and carpet work on all of my cars and even with years of experience, it is never easy. I start worrying about it in advance every time!

When completed, you need some cut-pile carpet in what some call "field mouse brown".  I think that you can locate this at LeBarron Bonney (see www.LeBaronBonney.com )  or call them at 1-800-221-5408  Jenkins also sells some "horsehair" in the correct color, and I got a sample, but it looked rough, especially along the cut edges, so I preferred (and purchased) the LeBarron Bonney material. Their carpet number is F88-1 (I believe they call it Taupe). It was $79 per yard, but you probably need only one yard, as it is 50" in width.

Then you make more patterns and cut the four carpet sections and glue them into place in the recessed areas of the rubber mat.  To my knowledge the 4 carpet panels were not originally bound with leather or vinyl welt, so I used "Fray-Check" on the edges so that the carpet will not unravel.  This is a clear liquid that you apply sparingly along the edges and it works well and does not show if applied properly.  Again, try some edges of cutoff carpet with this before doing the 4 sections.  You can buy "Fray-Check" at any Joanne's Fabric store and possibly other similar stores.  A little goes a long way, so you need only one small bottle. 

If you are going to make it to the CLC Grand Nationals in Columbus in 2011, I plan to bring my LaSalle to that show.

Good luck,

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

oldcarman002000 #22725

Hello      I want to thank Fred and Geoff for your info on the floor mat for my 39 LaSalle.     ThankYou Very Much   Karl Kahlberg  Snowflake Az.   #22725

35-709

Very nice of you to post that note, Karl.  Fred is "the man" when it comes to the '39 LaSalle.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2