News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1968 DEVILLE IGNITION PROBLEM

Started by bellyjello, November 23, 2010, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellyjello

Dad pulled his 68 deville out the other day.  Then the switch went bad.  I think it is in the electronic plug part.  I'm having trouble finding the part.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks Kevin kinney ???

Steve W

What do you mean "the switch went bad"? Could be the neutral safety switch, could be the ignition switch...could be a number of things. You gotta give us a few more clues.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

bellyjello

The ignition switch, Not the key section, The part the key section fits into.  It looks like a plug.

TJ Hopland

Is a 68 still on the dash or is it a column mounted?

I dont know how GM did it in the dash of on the column ones the key mechanism engages a gear like device that has a cam on it for the peg that locks the steering wheel and then a rack and pinion sort of thing that has a rod that runs down to the switch that is further down the column.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

68 is column, it then connects to the actual electrical component of the ign swtich at the bottom of the column.  USA auto parts list the part.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys... 68 is dash!  68's are famous for shorting out & burning the plastic connector.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dave Shepherd

Yikes my memory sucks, you are correct and yes the harness to the switch was famous for melting in the connector, my bad!!!

bellyjello

I'll check usa auto parts.  I couldn't get it autozone or advanced.  There is one on ebay but it says no returns in the auction.  Thanks I'll post how it turns out.  Kevin kinney

bellyjello

USA auto just shows the key cylinder not the electronic part.  Any more ideas?  I can't find one.  Thanks  Kevin kinney

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Kevin,
It's 68 only. Call Rich in Ca. at 805 421-8060. Tell him Bob sent you.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.