News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

73 Eldo Convt Top Replace/Repair

Started by Michael Kay, February 13, 2011, 11:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kay

I have a 73 Eldo Pace Car Replica now living in the SoCal Desert. It has only 66,000 miles and after a little care is in really good condition. The convertible top is generally in good shape and I hate to replace it, but it has some parts of the trim on the top (not sure what it is technically called) and some parts where it is sewn that need repair. The question is do I need to replace the top or are there "artisans" who can repair what I have. Thanks.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Convertible tops shrink with age, especially if the car sat outdoors or was driven
on a regular basis.  The facric also becomes weak and prone to tears, stiching
coming out, etc.

Therefore, trying to sew it back together especially if it's 40 years old is an
almost impossible job.  Anyway, any repair wouldn't last long.

Replace it.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Michael Kay

Thanks, Mike for your reply.

I guess what you are saying is that even if it may look pretty good, it is probably very "dry". Now, to anyone out there -- who do you recommend in Southern California to do this job. I have read some of the stories here about tops not being carefully reinstalled causing drainage and other problems, so I'd like to find an experienced "pro"?

Rikard Stenberg

Hi Michael!
Now you got my interest, I also own one of these 73 Pace Car replicas. I also try to track down as many as possible and maintain a web site on these fabulous cars:

http://indy500pacecars.com/

Maybe I can list your car as well...? Do drop me a note.
Cheers!
/Rikard Stenberg ( rikard454email addresses not permitted )
Luleå Sweden, by the Arctic Circle -30 F tonight....

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

who do you recommend in Southern California to do this job. I have read some of the stories here about tops not being carefully reinstalled causing drainage and other problems, so I'd like to find an experienced "pro"?

Michael -- being from the "other coast" i don't know anyone in California to recommend
to you.  Perhaps some of our West Coast members will chime in and help.  Yes, there are
all types of "top installers" some very good and others not.  A good job is not cheap but
it's worth the extra money.

Good Luck!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region