News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

'41 Convertible Top

Started by John Polychron, February 14, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Polychron

I cannot latch the center and left side latches on my '41 Conv Cpe. The pin and hole
on the left side are about 3/8 of an inch away from each other. I was able to latch
the right side and thought a wait of a week or two would allow the top fabric to
stretch. After four weeks no progress has been made. The top irons on both sides
are are lined up equally. What experience have you had with this problem and
how did you solve it?  Thanks for your replies.
'41 Cadillac Conv Cpe
'46 Cadillac Conv Cpe

srk1941

I had that problem too after I had the top restored.  I adjusted the latches to almost the end of the threads of the bolts, but it still was just a wee bit shy of latching.  I find that if I position myself like a pretzel, and push the top button in with my big toe, it gives just the amount needed to close that gap, and I can just close the latch.  Once one is locked, the other two are easier.

Ten years later, and it still hasn't gotten any better.  I didn't have this problem before the top was taken apart and the chrome/paint redone.  The upholsterer got it as close as he could...
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

TonyZappone #2624

With your left hand, pull down on the left hand top iron assembly, above the driver's window.  This should raise the pin and move it forward enough to get it in the hole.  I had to do this on my 58 convert on Sunday, probably because I zipped up the rear window first.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle