News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1959 cadillac Brake issue ? With everything new?????

Started by magicchiz, September 25, 2011, 01:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicchiz

Ok experts here is the deal.   Custome 1959 cadillac with 22" wire wheel rims knock offs.  Low profile tires. 

We have new hoses, rebuild calipers. New shoes that were honed.  New usa parts master and power booster.  Everything is bleed properly.  **WE STILL HAVE TO STAND ON IT TO STOP!** 

Only thing we can figure is we need different shoew lining's  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Only other thing we can think of is do you think the 22" rims and tires have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions would help us greatly!

Thanks for everyones time.
John

62droptop

john, you say rebuilt calipers
did you add disc brakes to it?
are you still using single system?
did you machine drums and new shoes?
are the shoes and adjusted correctly?

sounds like a potential brake booster issue if all else is correct. is their a check vavle in line for the booster and is it getting enough vacuum?

is the pedal low of right near the top of travel?
the 22'' wheels will make it harder to stop ,but it still should stop decently enough
the wheels will be very heavy and take more effort to stop than the smaller lighter original wheels
just because the booster is new does not mean it is any good

tons of people here to help sort out your problem once we get some more information

54cruzer

Did you upgrade to a dual outlet master cylinder?  If so, try reversing the lines, I have had this happen numerous times, also have had NOS wheel cylinders/hoses stopped up from years of sitting on the shelf.  Reversing the lines is usually the problem though.  If it's an aftermarket booster it may be too small.

Kevin

David Greenburg

Had a similar problem with "all new"  but completely stock brake system on my '59 a few years ago.  The "new" (actually rebuilt) booster turned out to be bad.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

62droptop

David, i too have had many new parts that were no good, doesnt happen often but can really leave you chasing your tail looking for a problem
as you figure ,hey it has to be good,its new right?

happening more than i would like to see lately, specially with all the crap made in china