News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Brougham/Continental Mark II opinions

Started by 57cadillac, September 27, 2011, 12:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57cadillac

I had an interesting idea that doesn't seem to have been discussed much from what I have seen on both this forum and the Mark II forum.

What would the opinion a Brougham owner have about a Mark II be? I also have wondered what a Mark II owner would think about a Brougham. The two cars share a similar position in automotive history, so it would be quite plausible that when discussing one car the other would come up at some point.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be anything like the camaro/mustang/challenger discussion that has been going on for a long time lol.
Nik
1957 Eldorado Brougham #184
1963 Daimler 2.5 v8

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Neil,

This topic was discussed recently on the Brougham Chapter forum.  Several members own or have owned Mark II's, so they offered a pretty good comparison.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I bought a Mark II about ayear ago. I have wanted one since I first saw one in 1956.

Other that that one deviation, I have always been a Cadillac person.

I think that both the Brougham and the Mark II are beautiful cars. However, the Mark II represents timeless beauty while the Brougham is very much a product of its time.

What appeals to me about the Continental is that it was probably the last American car that was built out of passion and not to fill a niche in the market. Bill Ford wanted to build it as a tribute to his father, Edsel, who built the original Continental.

The Brougham, on the other hand was built to counter the Mark II, which was already being phased out as the Brougham was introduced.

57cadillac

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on September 28, 2011, 12:49:31 AM
I think that both the Brougham and the Mark II are beautiful cars. However, the Mark II represents timeless beauty while the Brougham is very much a product of its time.

What appeals to me about the Continental is that it was probably the last American car that was built out of passion and not to fill a niche in the market. Bill Ford wanted to build it as a tribute to his father, Edsel, who built the original Continental.

I guess I've been missing out on quite a bit by not checking out the Brougham chapter.

Not to drag on this discussion as it has already been done, but this is great insight into what both cars represent to people who have seen/experienced them.

I do agree with the Brougham being a product of its time mostly because it has a lot of similarities with other 1957-58 Cadillac models.

On a different note, has there ever been any events/shows made or planned so far that brought together Brougham owners and Mark II owners? It would make for one interesting photo opportunity and meeting.
Nik
1957 Eldorado Brougham #184
1963 Daimler 2.5 v8

David King (kz78hy)

Regarding the EB chapter, no events are planned yet as they would regional anyway.  We have almost 50 members worldwide.  At the Grand National this year, we had 5 cars turnout.  So the next big thing is to better that turnout in FL at the 2012 GN.

Keep'em Running

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

veesixteen

If anyone is interested, I can send you a scanned copy of an 8-page article published in "Special Interest Autos" for December, 1970, that compares the Eldorado Brougham and the Lincoln Continental Mark II.

First five requests get copies free ... after that I will need to charge $5 each copy, just for my time.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Walter Youshock

They are both incredible automobiles and I'd love to have one of each in my collection.  While the Continental styling was unique, who agrees that the Eldorado Brougham was the precursor of the 1961 Lincoln Continental?  To me, the '61 Lincolns look a lot like updated Broughams.  With the design similarities, even down to almost identical dimensions, in today's world, there would be a huge lawsuit.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham