News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac thermostatic valve

Started by DTBass, January 31, 2012, 08:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTBass

Okay well I am trying to get the heater in my 57 Cad working.  The car has not been on the road since 1983.  The motor has been rebuilt but before I hooked up the heater hoses I wanted to check the heater unit.  The heater controls were difficult to move so I was able to remove the heater box cover without removing the entire assembly.  I was able to get a pretty good look at the heater core which looks like it's in good shape, the Ranco valve or thermostatic valve however is stuck in a closed position.  I have squirted it with wd40 but no luck freeing it up.  Has anyone ever been able to save one of these?  If I can free it up is there a way to test it prior to hooking it up to the water pump and running the motor?  I probably should just buy a new valve but I'm on a budget.  Thanks
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Mustang

Dan LeBlanc

Been there done that. I soaked one in kerosene for about a week and got it freed by hand.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan Koser

Talk to Jim Tucker (760)749-3488 or Joe Hudacek (715)392-6169. I believe Ranco valves are rebuidable and these guys provide that service.  These valves have rubber parts inside, so soaking them in much of anything may unstick them, but the rubber is usually what's dry and cracked. Regards,  Dan

DTBass

Thanks for the responses.  Dan, I will call those guys today and see what they have to say. Thanks again, Doug
1917 Maxwell
1948 Oldsmobile
1954 Chrysler New Yorker
1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Mustang