News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1971 Eldorado inside door handles

Started by bocco, February 15, 2012, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bocco

Looking for repair parts for those straps on the inside of doors on my 71 Eldo. Not sure what they're actually called.

I would like to buy new straps and the plastic trim pieces that cover up those screws that never stay in. Does anybody have source for these?

Also if anybody has figured out a good way to get the screws to stay in and hold these in place.

Thanks

Gary
Livermore, CA
1971 Eldorado Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Gary,

I share your problems, as I had one break on my '72.

They are made of Spring Steel, and I have seen them repaired by laminating the broken piece and bronzing the pieces together.

But, when doing these heat-related repairs, one has to pull the plastic covers off the strap.   When putting them back on, use a bit of glue at each end, so they don't move.

Now, the Screws, well, the best way to repair the holes in the door inner frame is to panel beat the holes back to shape, as they are usually stripped by constant undoing and doing up too tight, till they strip.

There should be two screws at each end, the smaller ones to hold the strap to the inner upholstery panel, and the larger ones to the actual door.   The smaller ones aren't designed to take any pressure of the strap being pulled.

Also, you have to use the original, special screws, or the covers won't go into place.

Further, the Serviceman for late 1971 shows the factory modification to fit a screw to hold the trim covers into place as the internal clipping method is easily broken.   This problem was fixed in 1972, with a spring to attach them.   But, rough handling in removing these will break off the spring.   A good reason for having the Workshop Manual and the Fisher Body Service Manual.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon