News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Shocks for a 1939 Cadillac LaSalle

Started by hgj1945, April 14, 2012, 05:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgj1945

Anyone have an idea where I can purchase shocks for my 1939 Cadillac LaSalle?
Thanks very much.
Helmut

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Good to hear you are improving your LaSalle. Please beome a member of our national organization and the local region near your home for comraderie. Contact Fred Zwicker the owner and restorer of a fantastic 1939 LaSalle 5067 for guidance.

I look forward to meeting you and observing your automobile at this years Grand National in St. Augustine, Florida.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

markl

Helmut,
The likelihood of finding new shocks is pretty much nil.  These are "Knee Action" shocks and the best place to source them is from a rebuilder.  In the US, I know of two, one in California; Five Points, and the other in New York; Apple Hydraulics.  I used the latter, and when it turned out that one of mine was internally broken, they were able to provide a rebuildable core.  So unless somehow two of yours have been rebuilt in the recent past, you might as well get the car up in the air and send all four in and get them done at the same time.

Depending on where you are located, you may find a rebuilder whose main stock and trade is rebuilding this type of shock, but for some other type of car such as older Jaguars or believe it or not, Ferraris!  Of course, this won't make the work any cheaper, just cut down on the cost of shipping.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Helmut,

I would agree with Mark.  Another catalog worth getting is kanters.  I believe that they will sell the shocks you are looking for.

If you are looking for a rear shock, I believe that there is one on eBay right now.  This is typically a gamble though.  You might get a good one, you might not.

Good luck in your search.

Dave
David Schumacher
1939 Lasalle 5019

Leponthaut

Hi,
Is it possible to rebuild them myself?
Is it difficult to do?
I will have eight to rebuild  :(