News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

My '70 Cadillac convertible restoration

Started by Zorrodeporro, October 24, 2010, 05:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorrodeporro

I've bought my car 4 years ago. At first it looked pretty ok. Some rusty spots here and there but when you start digging, you often find more than you like. I wanted my car to be in a reasonable shape. My goal was not to get in mint condition but nice and neat for everyday use. That's why I didn't want to spend too much money on it.

First job, was to lower the car at the rear, because it didn't look right.

We did this by sawing of a piece of the rearsprings.

Now it looks better!

The only time the car really let me down. No way, I could get her started up.

This was the cause, a broken piece of plastic inside the ignition.

Just a nice shot

New rearbumper

Getting rid of old, dirty interior.

Before:

After:

Adjusting doors.

In between finding time to have little family trips.

Rust like this really depresses me.

New brakepads, also a new mastercilinder.

New convertible top.

New timing chain and wheel. This was done by a friend.

Sad looking Caddy

Process of the top. I also found a rust free new trunk (white)

I thought I could roll my car myself in glossy black.

On the pictures it looks ok, but in reality it was a big disappointment.

So, I sandpapered it down and rolled it non-glossy blue for the time being.

My son liked it.

Typical Dutch parking situation.

A new doorpanel, too bad it's white.

But that can be changed

A friend dropped by.

A new stereo system, Cd player and MP3 player, but not in sight.

New convertible cilinder and als a new pump and new lines.

Somewhere in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Two years later, I was fed up with the non-glossy blue paintjob. I brought my car to a body shop for
some proper welding a decent paintjob.

To get a better price, I sanded it my car to get rid off all the blue paint to the original layers.

The new paintjob, fresh!

The end result with all the chrome and emblems:

I've also done a lot that hasn't been documented, like a new battery, new alternator, new starter, new electronic ignition,
new washerpump, new exhaust, etc, etc. For now, the car is finished. It's a joy to drive my Cadillac because each drive I see people with thumbs up. I drive my car each day to work, in summer but also in the winter. Each month I drive around 900 miles but it has never left me standing. So, this is my story. Hope you guys liked it.
Take care and keep those old Cadillcas on the road.

Marcel

Marcel Frensch
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great story, and love the pictures.

But, I must say that this is the first time I have ever seen a car painted with a Roller.   I have used a Brush myself, but never a Roller.

Bruce.

PS.   Love the picture of you parked next to the spare car.   Most people have spare tyres. ;D

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

John Maglia CLC#23063

Marcel:

Thank you for the restoration story on your 70 Cadillac and thank you for keeping a part of our American culture alive in Europe. I love your car and I love your country (esp Amsterdam).

For you to invest as much as you did in this car and with the price of gas in the Netherlands, I would expect that you are part owner of the Heineken brewery. In any case, congratulations on a job well done.

Best Regards,

John

(Living on Old Route 66)
John Maglia

joecaristo

I enjoyed your pictures and story.
Nice car and thanks for sharing.
Lots of luck to you,
Joe
Joe Caristo

Glen

Is that a propane tank I see in the trunk? How well does that car run on propane?  During the gas crises in the 70’s I investigated the idea of converting my 68 ELDO to propane.  Never did it though.

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Zorrodeporro

Thanks for the compliments guys. There are proberly better ways of restoring a car than I did, but I'm still learning a lot. This also my first restoration. I'm balancing between the fact that I want a decent car, but I also didn't want to spend too much money on it, because I use it every day in downtown Amsterdam. There are two possibilities: a. You have a $10.000 paintjob but if you get a scratch, you cry and go bezerk. Or b. you have a $4000 paintjob, like I did, and now when I get a scratch I only have to cry ( a bit).

Indeed this car also runs on propane or LPG like we call it here. I'm not sure how much you guys pay for gas but here in Holland gasoline prices are absurd. Roughly, we pay about $9 for one gallon. And with the mileage of old Detroit iron, at the end of the month, there's very few money left for Heineken beer. (no, no owner of the brewery) ;D ;D

To make the car run on LPG you need a complete installation, like a tank, different airfilter, mixer etc.
Marcel Frensch
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I see that she is a "Dual-fuel" system.

One good thing about having the LPG tank in the boot is that you learn to travel light, wherever you go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

That’s different from the system I was looking at in the ‘70s.  What I was looking at had a spacer under the carb that was the LPG “carb”  I don’t remember how it regulated the flow as the throttle position changed. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

LM 25575

Hi Marcel, your car looks great!
I can understand you about LPG, in Italy gasoline is about 1.350 euro per liter so...The problem of gasoline price among american cars owners in Europe is quite common.
Fortunately I do not have to drive my cars everyday (even because they are actually both under restoration), but when I used to do it I just put 50 euros in the tank and enjoyed the (expensive) driving.

Luca
L. Marzana
- 1949 Cadillac 62 4 door
- 1981 HD FLTC

Zorrodeporro

"Fortunately I do not have to drive my cars everyday"

Why is that a good thing?  :D I'm just so happy that I can drive my Cadillac every day. When I'm on vacation I really miss my car. I have also some other cars like a Renault Grand Espace for the long family trips. But every change I get I take the Cadillac. ;D
Marcel Frensch
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

LM 25575

Fortunately because usually I have to drive long distances and doing it with my cars would drive me into a bankruptcy.  ;D
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Zorrodeporro

Ah now I understand Luca, I thought you didn't like driveing Cadillacs allthough this was hard to imagine. ;D

Is it possible to buy LPG in Italy? Here in Amsterdam a liter cost about 1,60 euro. So, I had to find an alternative.
I wich area of Italy do you live? I have visited Iatly many time and I think it's the best country to live. I love the culture, the food, the wine, everything. Everywhere you go always friendly people.
Marcel Frensch
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

LM 25575

Surely driving a Cadillac is an unique experience so.....I haven't been driving the '76 one since last year and I really miss it.

I live in Tuscany, Florence area, countryside. Actually many dutch people come over here in the summer. I think they like this area quite a lot.

Gasoline is 1.6 in Netherlands?? I thought that 1.35 was scandalous but 1.6 is really terrible. I think that with an american car LPG is the only solution there.We have LPG here, costs about half of the gasoline so there are many car even with LPG tank. But many cars have even methane gas which is about less than one fourth of the price of the gasoline.

So, american friends, do not complain too much about gas price. Do you realize in what kind of situation we are living in Europe?  ;)
L. Marzana
- 1981 HD FLTC

Sweede64

Thumbs up for the effort, not many people would have changed the top in thiere driveway!!!!!!!  Turned out great in black! Enjoy as long as it last, in Germany you have to have a certificate to be able to drive these old boats in the citys.
Gas prices in Sweden is ca 1,30/litre. But i still think its worth it, my Ford Expedition wants 15 l/100km highway.

LM 25575 I was in your beautiful country two years ago on a car vaication, i drove a Caprice 1993 , went to Rome and lived in a campsite at lago di bracciano with my family, lots of dutch people there as well.

Take care
Thomas
Thomas Karlström

Lucas Feininger #15674

Great story, great pictures. You deserve extra credit for having done all this with what appears to be five little ones (not to mention what must be a very patient and understanding wife) to contend with. I know when my first daughter arrived it put a serious crimp in my tinkering with my '63 convertible. Merry Christmas + a Happy New Year to you + your family.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Zorrodeporro

Thanks and a merry christmas and a very good 2011 to you and your family too. Indeed it's hard to manage time between your family and The Hobby. ;D
Marcel Frensch
Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Jeffrey Burland

Hi All, Just letting you know this 69 70 Cadillac only website is back up and running. It may help with restoration and parts info.
http://grou.ps/69_70cadillaccommunity

thanks, Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

New2Caddys

Great story and great car. I just picked up a 1970 Cadillac just like it, same gold paint.  I'm new at restoring cars as well. And I dont want to spend a crazy amount of money either.

Your car looks awesome black.  Im thinking I want to re-paint mine Gold, as it will probably be cheaper than changing colours. You're right about getting thumbs up. I've been cruising in mine, and as rough as it is I still get compliments.  I dont know why I waited so long to buy a Cadillac.

I told my son that I bought my youth back again. I think he likes it as much as I do. He wants to "Bling" it up.  I want to clean it up but keep it pretty much original right down to the AMFM radio, which does work although a little scratchy at times.  Nothing beats driving this thing. It's like driving a Living Room.

Anyway, enjoy, Maybe I better start taking more (and better) pictures of my progress. I'm actually picking it up tomorrow morning from the Upholstery Shop. I had them install a new top. The top came with the car in a cardboard box.

Enjoy