News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Power Steering Belt??

Started by Rick Biarritz, February 02, 2013, 01:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

When I start my 83 Eldo with the 4.1 on a warm day, there is zero problem. When it's cold outside, I hear a deep groaning noise. It sounds like a belt, only not nearly as high pitched and screechy as one usually hears with a loose belt. It is DEFINITELY cold related. Because on a cold day it lasts about 2 seconds. On a REALLY cold day (we've had 12 degrees here recently) it lasts upwards of 10 seconds. The next day it was 30 degrees and it was back to 2 seconds of groaning. As it groans, I turn the wheel, and it is quite stiff. This is what makes me think it's the belt. I am fine on the fluid level. But do belts squeal or groan when it's cold? If the belt is loose, wouldn't it groan regardless of the temp?

Thanks, gang.

TJ Hopland

The stiff steering is a sign that the PS fluid is a little on the thick side when its that cold.  It may not be the PS pulley that is slipping rather it may be the extra load on the PS trying to move that stiff fluid is changing the loading on the belt and allowing something else to slip slightly like the alternator since on an extra cold start it will also be working extra hard to get the battery charged.    I dont remember the routing on those cars so it may not be the alternator.   

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hankk17

I second the thought/suggestion of power steering.  from the many 80s HT4100s I've had, I can definitely vouch for how troublesome it is/was.  Check your fluid and make sure it's up to level and is mostly clear.   check for leaks - if I recall correctly, the high pressure hoses were common spots for failures.
Wherever you go... There you are

Rick Biarritz

Ahhh, I had a small leak, so I've been using that stop leak stuff (Lucas) and that stuff is THICK!!!!

Dave Shepherd

Theres your problem, no cold flow, don't use that stuff!

Rick Biarritz

Thanks for the tip. Any ideas short of replacing the leaky part?

TJ Hopland

Did you try just flushing it and fresh regular fluid?   Sometimes just the fresh fluid will help seals.   

Where is the leak?  Hoses are easy.  Pump is also not terrible.  The box is a bit more expensive and work. 

Rick Biarritz

I've not yet tracked the leak down, but as soon as we get above -110 degrees, I will.

Thanks.

Hankk17

yup any and all of that stop leak stuff has never caused me anything but trouble.  replace the hoses to stop the leak, flush the fluid and put new stuff in and you'll be back in business again.
Wherever you go... There you are

TJ Hopland

I know what you are saying about the -110.   I just paid the dealer $2000 for some repairs that maybe would have took me $750 in parts and a day if I had anyplace warm to work. 

Rick Biarritz

You're in St. Paul? Yowsa! You know cold. What was the repair?

TJ Hopland

Original problem was a coolant leak somewhere near the front of the engine.  Too darn cold for me do do anything other than make sure it was not empty.  That turned out to be a bad lower rad hose.  Looking at my bill apparently they warrantied the hose at 8 years and 160K.  I did still have to pay for some clamp or clip that was also broke or got broke and the coolant flush.  Hood fell on my head when I was checking and that reminded me of when that happened in the fall so I had em replace the hold up er shock things.  I knew tires were getting on the thin side and something was rattling in the suspension. I did not know that I had 2 tires with nails in them.  One did have to add air every couple weeks so I had them put a new set on and replace the tie rod ends that were apparently the cause of the rattle.  Had my eye on a power steering hose that was getting wetter and wetter every oil change and did eyeball it close enough that it appears to wrap around the engine compartment a few times before it disappears on the opposite side of the engine from what I think is the PS pump.  Also figured as long as they had it and I had the credit card out to do a synthetic oil change and flush the trans since its one of those sealed ones you can't even check.   Also a new set of floor mats to make it an even $2000. 

At the time I was not 100% sure anything else in my fleet was going to start (turns out later in the day the other two semi daily drivers (both well used diesels) did start) and I did not have anything I absolutely had to get done that day but next week was another story so I just figured I would get it all done and be done with it.   If it ever warms up I can work on something else.       

Rick Biarritz

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on February 03, 2013, 10:21:31 AM
Theres your problem, no cold flow, don't use that stuff!

You were right! Took that stuff out, replaced with regular fluid, and the problem instantly vanished.

Thanks!