News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Replacing engine and transmission mounts in my 1966 Deville Convertible

Started by AZ Deville, March 13, 2013, 02:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZ Deville

Hello!

I am a new club member and I am going to be replacing the engine and transmission mounts in my 1966 Deville Convertible.  Has anyone done this job and have any pointers for me?  Your thoughts and tips are appreciated!

cadillacmike68

Unless you have done so recently, I would replace the transmission seal at the same time, to save on having to do it separately later.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

AZ Deville

I have not replaced the transmission seal so I will do that at the same time!  Thank you!  Are removing and replacing the mounts pretty straight forward? 

Dave Shepherd

Aside from supporting the engine to get it off the mounts safely, same with the rear trans mount, this is a routine job.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

AZ,
If you are going to replace both motor mounts and the transmission mount my suggestion, having done it this way is to;
1. Loosen up (but do not remove) the nuts on the motor mounts that go through the frame(suggest you loosen them 1/2 way).
2. Loosen up (1/2 way) the two bolts that secure the transmission mount to the frame cross member.
3. Using a floor jack under the motor (suggest using a 2x10 to protect the oil pan between the jack and the pan) lift the motor as required to replace one side motor mount and then the other.  The mounts are held to the engine block by 2 bolts that go horizontally through the block casting.
4. Before tightening the through frame bolts more than 1/2 way, raise the rear of the transmission (again protecting the transmission case) and change the trans mount.
That's it, Just an easy (took me about 4 hours the first time) swap.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

AZ Deville

Thank you all for the great advice!  I really appreciate it and I am sure will make the job easier!