News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Should I get my spindles sandblasted?

Started by mgbeda, April 19, 2013, 02:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

As part of my full restoration I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my '76 Sedan DeVille.  I've got all the parts off, and just had the ball joints and bushings pushed out.  Most of these parts I'm going to take in to be hot tanked and sandblasted, then after that I'll paint them.

Question:  Should I send the spindles to the strippers too, or just clean them up best as I can myself?  Obviously I don't want the bearing surface to get sandblasted.  Would you trust the shop to mask that area off well enough that it won't get damaged?

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Eldovert

You could do those yourself in someones glassbead cabinate..the blaster may have one.That way you could be sure they don't mess with the bearing and seal surface.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Glen

If you do put them in the blast cabinet mask off the machined surfaces with duct tape first.  That will protect the surfaces in case you slip and hit the wrong place and allow you to blast right up to the edge of the machined surfaces. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

n2caddies

Don't know how prices compare where you are but when I do what your doing I take my stuff to the powder coater and for less that what you at proposing they sand blast and powder coat masking off Any bearing surfaces , threads etc and end up with a superior more durable finish that tends to smooth out any minor imperfections in the metal. That with new parts and fasteners and it looks outstanding. I use satin black as gloss shows to much reflection.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Scot Minesinger

I would never trust a media blasting company not to blast the surfaces that should not be blasted.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty