News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Replacing wood on a 1941 60S

Started by Cooke, May 01, 2013, 10:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

Has anyone replaced the structural wood under the rocker panels on a 1941 60S?? How difficult is it?

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Hey Martin ... It's been about 20 years, but as I recall ... all it took was access to a source of some 4" X 4" or 4" X 6" kiln dried oak or ash and a fairly heavy duty  9" throated band saw with a well lubricated 1/2" medium stiff blade . ( and of course enough of the remains of the original pieces to act as patterns ! ) I prefinished my parts with several coats of a penetrating sealer before installation . BB

Don Boshara #594

My originals were so far gone that I made a pair of trial sills out of cheap pine before using oak for the finished ones.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Terry Wenger

Its has been many years, but I seem to recall someone in the Club had the factory drawings for these sills.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Paul Phillips

I would love to see the factory drawings!  If anybody has info on that, please let me (us) know.

I fabricated sills for my car earlier this year, interpolating between deteriorated wood and the floor pan surface.  There are definitely some nuances that require woodworking skill.  Most significant is that the floor pan slopes down toward the outside edge.  The main sill runner and the pockets for the two cross channels need to conform to that slope angle.

I chose to fabricate the replacements out of ash wood instead of oak.  It is stronger and less porous than the oak.  The wood was also coated with an epoxy primer as used to stabilize wood for architectural repairs. I found this stuff at Restoration Supply in CA www.restorationstuff.com.

I also took a bit of license to modify the design to ensure drainage under the B pillar, as well as creating drain holes in the metal support pieces under the sill at the cowl sides. One if the pitfalls of exposed hinges is they will allow some water in those areas.

I would suggest it is next to impossible to replace the main sill and the ramp section under the front floorboard without removing the body from frame, at least lifting one side at a time. There are metal pieces as mentioned above at the cowl area and also in front of the rear wheel wells that must be removed from below the sills, and there are nails from the original assembly in the front toe board area that cannot be removed, as the body was built up after being attached to the sills.  Unless that area is thoroughly rotted, you need to wrestle the wood loose from those nails.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I do have a set of the plans, which were modified some ten days after my car was produced on 11-11-40. The main change was to reinforce the "step" under the door cap. Evidently, they had enough heavy people who stepped on it, and made it sag in the three months or so of production that they felt the need to get rid of the "Z" shaped brackets that only supported the wood from the top, and added another strap underneath it. I do have the rocker panel measurements somewhere in my files that Ron Bennett gave me as well. I am nearly done with the job, which was the rocker panels and step wood only, as my sills were still sturdy enough to keep. I haven't looked at the blueprints for some time and the last time that I did, they were fading, even though they have been kept in the mailing tube out of the light. I believe we got them from Ed Cholokian's All-Cads. I own these in conjunction with Carl Steig. I have "shared" these in the past if they are returned ASAP.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Paul Phillips

Barry
I would love to borrow your plans & will send you a PM so we can work out details.

Thanks!Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

srk1941

Maybe these should be scanned or digitized, especially if they are fading?
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Doug Houston

Quote from: Terry Wenger on May 01, 2013, 08:51:37 PM
Its has been many years, but I seem to recall someone in the Club had the factory drawings for these sills.

It mihg havd bden me. I dxid jhav hat Fisher Body drawing of the main body dills. I loaned it to Pete Dapkus, in the St Louis area (Ballwin?). He never returned it, and probably sold it to someone.

Terry Wenger
Quote from: Terry Wenger on May 01, 2013, 08:51:37 PM

Terry Wenger
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929