News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

!941 or 1942

Started by VandalRon, May 05, 2013, 11:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VandalRon

Series 62 convertible. I'm looking to buy either a 41 or 42 convertible. Both will need work. I have a couple questions that might be answered on this forum.
Which year would have the greater upside investment value? I like to pretend I'm investing. It's easier when telling my wife I'm buying a new project.
Which car is the more expensive to restore?
How important is matching numbers? Often times there's a correct motor but not the original.
How important is original color for interior and exterior?
How important to value is allegiance to exact restoration vs. creative license?

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ron

Welcome to the Forum!

You have a lot of interesting questions. I have a few for you.
(1) Are you mechanically inclined
(2) Are you a check writer
(3) Have you restored a vehicle before
(4) Do you have the time and space to climb the learning curve

Your replies are essential to the manner in which your questions are answered. You have chosen the prewar Cadillac era which includes some very special vehicles. The 1941 Cadillacs are admired and adored by a large contingent of our membership and a high production year. The 1942 model year was shortened by the war and rare.

Please absorb the responses you receive here while also attending and becoming a member of a local region and national organization BEFORE you acquire an automobile.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

VandalRon

I am mechanically competent.
(I have an excellent mechanic and paint and body man.)
I live in Idaho, labor is affordable here.
I (we) are just finishing up a 1958 Mercedes 220S "Ponton" Cabriolet. I also own several other classics that I bought restored or have done some amount of maintenance to (I'm having two repainted now).
I have means although I'm not "rich".
I have a personal garage with a lift, welder, plasma cutter and I know how to use them. I have the usual hand tools.
I enjoy the creative process of "restoring" classic cars as long as I am not throwing money down a rat hole.

Living in a small town of 30K in north central Idaho, I doubt there is a local Cadillac/LaSalle club within 99 miles. I say that as Spokane Washington is 100 miles to the north.
Most of the car guys around here are 60's muscle cars or Brass era people. I like to be different.

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Ron: Lots of questions and you will get lots of different answers so keep a score sheet. The first thing I would consider regardless of year is what is the condition of the car. How much rust, and where is the rust. What are the parts missing from the car? Parts for a 41 convert although difficult to find are still available but expensive. The 42 is another story. Around 5,000 1942 Cadillacs were made before production was stopped of which only 308 were converts. Although a lot of 46-7 convert parts are the same as the 42, there are some parts only for 42. Any chrome door or window garnish moldings for 41 or 42-47 are next to impossible to find so as I said before, look closely at what parts are missing.
     It is always desirable in a 41 or 42 to have the engine number match the number on the frame but I still would buy a car if the engine you found in the car was the same year as the car. In 41 each series of cars such as the 62 series had a block of numbers and that block of numbers was used on engines that went in only 62 series cars, the same block numbering system was used on other series Cadillac for 41. It is not unusual to see some 41 Cadillac cars fitted with other 41 series engines. What you don`t want is a 41 Cad fitted with a 42-48 engine which has been done and can be spotted without looking at serial numbers.

If you are spending big bucks, a lot of time restoring a car and the car is very original when you buy it, then by all means keep the same color inside and out. I have seen cars go through auction out here in Scottsdale that were beautiful cars but had been modified mechanically and color, they lost money to the original car.  If I had the choice of a 41 or 42 convert I would take the 41. A beautiful car and always a crowd pleaser.     Bill

gary griffin

Hi Ron,

While I was writing this I see Bill Ingler made an excellent post with good advice but I personally like the 1942's appearance for several reasons.

Good luck in your search and hopefully you will join the club if you find one and start restoration of a classic Cadillac. This club is a fantastic resource.

A few statistics hopefully will help you. Taken from "Cadillacs of the forties by Schneider" and the Cadillac Lasalle Club directory for 2013.

1941  Model 6267D Convertible coupe  3100 produced  and currently 170 owners are club members.

1941 Model 6229D convertible sedan 400 produced  and currently 47 owners are club members

1942 Model 6267D convertible coupe 308 produced and 6 are currently owned by club members.

1942 6229D convertible sedan, None produced.

As you can see 1942 was a short production year due to WW-ll .  1942 was also Cadillacs 40th anniversary and a completely new body style sharing little with previous years. The cars of that era have almost identical mechanical features so mechanical parts are not hard to find for either year.

Having said all of that I was looking to buy a 1940 Cadillac when I found a very restorable 1942 6717 and purchased it and am nearing completion of a long restoration. I was looking for a 1940 as that is my birth year but chose the 1942 due to it's relative rarity.  I was looking for a large sedan as it rains here in Seattle and I also want to be able to chauffeur my parents around in it for the next few years. In the restoration forum I have posted the progress with pictures of you are interested.

Obviously 1942's are rare in any model. Because of that parts are hard to find. I buy any 1942 only parts I find if they are at a reasonable price. I have a friend with a 1942 who had a accident and had a real difficulty finding a front fender for example. I searched over a year for a foot rest common to only 1942 67 series cars.

I hope this does not scare you and that you end up with a 1942 as they are quite rare.

You have restored other vehicles including the Mercedes Ponton so you know the first step is to identify parts needed and start the hunt. If you find a 1942 contact me and I will help you as much as I can regarding your project.

You obviously have the necessary skills and equipment to do a fine job. You will not be throwing money down a rat hole if you restore a Cadillac especially if you get the "Restoration Manual" For your year and manual car. I also suggest you invest in a build sheet showing the actual date of shipment of your car and original options, colors, and  upholstery colors for your car. Keeping everything original and authentic is the key to value.

Best of luck,

Gary Griffin

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

VandalRon

Cr, Gary and Bill
Thanks a lot for the info..
As you all implied , no concenus as to specific year but do you love these cars.
Bill: Where would find the block of engine numbers appropriate for a 1941 Cadillac?
"In 41 each series of cars such as the 62 series had a block of numbers and that block of numbers was used on engines that went in only 62 series cars, the same block numbering system was used on other series Cadillac for 41."

Bill Ingler #7799

Ron:Here are the engine block numbers for each series of the 41 Cadillac.    Bill

61 Series  5340001 to 5369258

62 Series  8340001 to 8364734

63 Series  7340001 to 7345050

60S Series 6340001 to 6344101

67 Series   9340001 to 9340922

75 Series   3340001 to 3342104