News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Why advertise a $155k car on Craig's List?

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, May 01, 2013, 11:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/3776544430.html

This a listing for a 1958 Brougham. I think the license plate reads Brougham #68. It's gorgeous but is the market really the LA readers of CL.

Dan LeBlanc

Good point, Brad. Perhaps it's a wife irking an unwilling husband to try and sell the car so he popped it up there. When it doesn't sell he can say, honey, I tried.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Not many cars can be left with original paint and the vanities. Cool just to look at.

52Cadillac

I resent dat. I sold a 64 Corvair Spyder Convertible on CL a couple months back. Well it wasn't for a $150K, something a little less. Hehe

However, that was a beauty.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

speach

I see corvairs on CraigsList all the time. HeHe Yea prob was a wife thing I agree, but you guys saw the ad.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Aaron Hudacky

You never know who is looking at CL; I think you can find buyers and sellers from every income bracket there.  I look for vehicles on CL before I search any publication or site that charges advertisers.   That's where I found my 70 Eldorado.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I’m suspicious of the pictures. They are definitely Brougham, but don’t correspond to the car described. The write up claims blue cloth with white interior. The second picture shows white leather where fabric should be, and the carpet and dash are black instead of blue . Pictures four and five look to me like white leather with gray cloth biscuits. The door accents in picture six as well as the leather cover of the tissue dispenser appear to be gray . The original blue color use on a Brougham was a medium royal blue and is not easily confused as gray.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
That poster spells & has sentence structure like a Nigerian scammer.
Be careful!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

According to Google that phone number is
Kanute Drafting Service
2578 Elsinore Rd
Riverside, CA 92506
(909) 732-5708
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

rodger

They put the car on CL knowing someone would see the ad and then repost it on other sites such as this.
Rodger Craig

Gene Beaird

Well, I'm very interested!  I have never seen a vintage car like that that had the carpet complete with shot glasses and lady's vanity.   :o  ;D

Yeah, I smell a rat.  But I read all online car ads with at least a small level of skepticism.  I'm not paranoid, I just have a heightened sense of awareness.   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

David King (kz78hy)

I have some of the same photos from when the car was posted for sale 2 previous times.  It does look like the seller has borrowed similar cars photos from other places.  The text indicates this is car 699 and it so, then it is black 110 with 1281, Light gray "Parisienne" cloth with white leather and Karakul carpet.  Steering wheel would be gray w/white grips.  Compact is correct color for a gray car. 

This not a car to buy sight unseen.

My 2 cents.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

gary griffin

I go to a site I found in Google that takes me to all Craig's list across the country and when looking for rare parts for my 1942 Cadillac I go to that site. If you are looking for a 1957 Chevrolet they are pretty common  but for something as rare as a 1958 Eldorado I would look at all craigs first and then this club and then eBay
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

waterzap

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on May 05, 2013, 11:17:09 AM
I have some of the same photos from when the car was posted for sale 2 previous times.  It does look like the seller has borrowed similar cars photos from other places.  The text indicates this is car 699 and it so, then it is black 110 with 1281, Light gray "Parisienne" cloth with white leather and Karakul carpet.  Steering wheel would be gray w/white grips.  Compact is correct color for a gray car. 

This not a car to buy sight unseen.

My 2 cents.

David

A $150,000 car is never bought sight unseen. If you do, you have either too little sense or too much money.
You can fly anywhere in the world for $5,000
Leesburg, AL