News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Ohhhhhh NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Trans Fluid!!!

Started by Jeff Wilk, August 28, 2013, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Yup,  two years of breaking down the entire front clip of our 59 and restoring every piece, part, nut and bolt........ On stalling a dual master cylinder.....and a complete tri power and a/c rebuild...... Along with every hose, belt, and gasket new..... Guess what???

After a couple of last minute issues got fixed like the ignition switch, relplacing the new master with a different master, getting one ac hose shortened, and redoing one front coil.....

The car is running like a clock (actually found the original file from when i bought it 32 years ago and discovered that the engine was fully rebuilt along with the trans by Cadillac in NV less than 6000 miles ago) and then.........

One of the transmission hoses to the cooler blows out right at the fan with the car running!!!!!  Trans fluid EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!  All over the entire engine bay and shop.

Cant use chems with the newly painted everything so its rags and rags and soap and water and more rags.........any other ideas?????

BTW...... Turns out it was a defective hose which had the entire rubber crimped shut where the metal fitting meets the rubber!!!!!

Noah and I are about to push this thing back into the garage for another 24 year hibernation at this point!!!!!
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Walter Youshock

YUK!  I understand your frustration.  Be happy it wasn't antifreeze.  I detailed the engine in the '57 a few years back--removed valve covers, intake, top cover, exhaust manifolds and the water pump so I could get to the front cover.  Got it all back together and headed out for a show two days after the detail job.  8 miles from home, going 60 on the hiway, the water pump seal decides to blow, spewing hot coolant EVERYWHERE!  All that lovely Cadillac blue turned purple...  And I turned RED!

Be happy it happened when and where it did.  Had that fluid been hot, you AND the fresh paint would be ruined.

Clean it up and walk away from it for awhile.  Best thing for you and the car right now.  Trust me....
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

Yep, 'stuff' happens!  As others have said, it can always be worse.  Hugely-frustrating, but not a deal-breaker.  Luckily, the ATF is gentle on painted surfaces, and can actually help protect to a small amount.  It's just a minor setback, and you're right there at the end of the restoration tunnel.  Fix and enjoy the car!

When I first saw the title, I thought 'who was out in my shop yesterday?!?'  I went out there to look at something on our 68 Calais (turns out the replacement set of headlight bezels I have may be 67 bezels), and while walking to the back of the car, I stepped in a puddle of ATF that was emanating from under the 68.  I looked under the car to see a thin line of ATF directly under the tailshaft seal, leading to a bigger puddle under the driver's seat area.  The car has had issues with transmission leaks elsewhere, but not the tailshaft.  <Sigh>, I guess it's now time to pull the trans and reseal.  Oh well, it needs to be done, but I wanted to make it later, rather than sooner.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

harvey b

I would try a pressure washer with a soap dispenser on the end by the nozzle,just be gentle with it and should clean up nice.when your done just dry it with some towel,also the tranny fluid is a good rust preventer too.I would use one of the home type washers,the one at the local carwash might have to much pressure,would take off the paint. Harvey b
Harvey Bowness

mgbeda

Gene,

I was able to replace both the round seal at the aft end of the tail shaft and the thin seal between the tail shaft housing and the man tranny housing without removing the tranny.  Just removed the driveshaft, supported the tranny at the rear with a jack, and removed the aft transmission brace.  Then I used a long extension on a half inch drive ratchet to remove the tail housing to main housing bolts.  Of course mine is a '76; it might be different in a '68, but I thought I'd mention it.  They're both TH400's after all.

Good luck,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)