News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1956 courtesy or dome light question

Started by mike peters, January 31, 2014, 11:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike peters

The dome lights on my 56 Seville are a double contact, single filament bulb, and I can't figure out how these  are supposed to work. Each contact on the base of the bulb has  a wire lead.   There is NO ground wire coming from the brass base of the bulb to complete the circuit.   My shop manual is silent on this circuit.  Does anyone know how these dome light circuits work in principle?   I have rewired the dome lights with conventional single contact bulbs to ground out through the door post switch and now they work great, but am curious as to how the originals operate.   Thanks
mike peters
1956 Eldorado Seville

Martin Michaels

Mike ,One wire is hot all the time,the other wire is the ground.The circuit is completed when a door is opened.The switches are normally open,does this help? Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

mike peters

Marty:  I tested a bulb on a battery and it worked!   You're right!  The obvious did not occur to me. I've spent the last 30 years working on 6 volt cars ( Model T through 52 Chevy) that use single filament bulbs which ground through the  light fixtures.  Gotta get with this modern stuff.
It's a T 90 bulb.  Will look for replacements at the local auto parts store. 
Thanks Marty!!
1956 Eldorado Seville