News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1960 power steer lines

Started by Ivan Z., October 10, 2014, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Z.

I would like to replace the original hoses on my power steering and have noticed that one line (high pressure supply?) has proper threaded hydraulic fittings with crimped hose ends, the other line (low pressure return?) has standard hoseclamp connections, even at the pump. Is this correct?
I can buy a crimped supply hose (with the threaded ends),  but if the return? line uses standard hose clamps, what type of hose should be used?; I always thought that both lines run at a fairly high pressure, But maybe the return only needs a hose -type connection because of the lower pressure .

Ivan Zanatta
60 CDV
47 Chevy
71 Holden
76 Holden

Joshua

Hi Ivan  :D

I have a '59 and mine is set up the same way.  The high pressure side needs to have the threaded hydraulic fittings with the crimped hose ends.  However, the return line has pretty low pressure, so it does not need a hose like the other side.  I used a transmission line on mine, maybe some one has a better idea?  Hope this helps.

Take care,
Joshua Cross  :D
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I

62 driver

I used a 62 chev return line.  It looked like a cleaner set up to me. Crimped at the gear box and hose clamped at the pump.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Ken Perry

Any auto parts store should carry 3/8 power stearing return hose also same as transmision cooler hose. Do not use fuel line! Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Scot Minesinger

Ken is right, use power steering/trans fluid hose, not fuel. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Joshua

Thank you for correcting me  :D
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I