News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1948-1955 Bumper Jacks

Started by Bob Schuman, October 02, 2014, 11:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Schuman

My 1948-1959 Master Parts Book lists one bumper jack, Group 3.0488, PN 1457164 for all 1948 through 1955 Cadillacs except commercial chassis. From my observation, I beleive there were two different types of bumper jacks supplied, probably depending on the year. The PN given above apparently superseded one of the two two types, probably the earlier one.

One jack, seen in a 1949 Club Coupe, had a detachable hook-shaped part that engaged under the bumper. The other type, observed in the trunk of a 1955 60S, had no detachable hook, just a plate 3" wide by 7/8" deep, angled slightly upward, and welded permanently to the sliding mechanism. I have two of the latter type jacks, both obtained to use in cars I acquired.

Here's the problem. The The jack with the angled plate works fine on both bumpers of my 1951 coupe. Not so on my 1949 Coupe DeVille, on it the plate of a identical jack will only engage about 1/8" under the bumper, making it very unsafe to lift the car if needed for a wheel change.

Can anyone this for me? Did Cadillac goof on the design, and not recognize the hazard? I have had the jack for the 49 CDV modified to work safely( if any bumper jack is really safe). Engineering curiosity is my reason for this posting. I would post photos if my computer skill was adequate.

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Bob Schuman

Jeff's reply and photos got me to thinking, maybe what I have are jacks that are missing the detachable hook piece.
The flat angled part of mine that contact the bumper is 3.00 inches wide. If the inside width of the hook is just a little more than 3 inches, possibly it is made to fit over my jacks. That may indicate there was only one jack supplied for 1948 through 1955 cars, with both of mine missing the correct hook.

Can someone with such a bumper jack having the hook please measure the inside dimension of the part of the hook that sits on the sliding part of the jack?
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2023 XT5

Philippe M. Ruel

On the third picture in the first eBay listing, there is no angled plate where the hook fits, the hook looks much narrower than 3".

My '52 original jack has the angled plate, and no hook.
1952 60 Special in France.

Bob Schuman

Phillipe,
Thanks for the information.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2023 XT5

R Sotardi #11719

The second jack ( the one with the bag) is a 1950 jack and accessories that Jeff posted. The 1949 came in a  "charming" cardboard box that had TOOLS printed on it. The 1950 a storage bag, like the green one in the photo,  was included that stored the jack( hook mounted on it) tire iron, and jack stand. In 1951, & on, Cadillac  mounted a cradle for the jack to rest in between the fender and spare tire. Only the 50s had the canvass bag in tan , green or black ( mine). It is discussed in the Authenticity Manual. The jack hook is 2 1/2" wide with a more radical turn, and safer. The hook is not removable. Ron

Caddy Wizard

My former 50 sedan had the box labeled "Tools" -- no bag.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...