News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Under hood canisters

Started by Stitches upholstery, March 09, 2015, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitches upholstery

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows what effects, if any, there would be from unhooking the vacuum lines from the canisters behind the driver side headlight(my car is a 78 deville)

Thanks

Trevor

Jon S

The canisters are vacuum storage devices that enable the vacuum system to maintain vacuum pressure when the engine is off.  Disabling them would cause headlight covers to open (if so equipped), parking brake releases not to work unless the engine was running and havoc with the heating/ventilation system.

Why would you want to disconnect the canister?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Stitches upholstery

What I was concerned with was them being worn out/broke and creatin a vacuum leak.

Jon S

Quote from: Stitches upholstery on March 09, 2015, 03:34:22 PM
What I was concerned with was them being worn out/broke and creatin a vacuum leak.

You could test them with a vacuum pump and see if they hold pressure.  I've never had one go bad.  They are glorified/modified Campbell soup containers.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Trevor,
You are not talking about the Emmissions device that is connected to the fuel tank and the carburetor are you?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Stitches upholstery

I was thinking that's what those are

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Trevor,
On the '78 motors the connections to that canister are complex and tied into three systems.  I would recommend you leave it in place and renew all the vacuum lines needing replacement.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Stitches upholstery

What all are they tied into?

bill06447

Appears you are referring to the fuel vapor recovery system. Vents the fuel tank and the carburetor bowl. Without the system intact, best case is stinky gas fumes in the car, worse case the car stops due to fuel starvation and all sorts of things in between. The system is easily diagnosed if there's a problem suspected, its been on pretty much every vehicle since the late 60's and doesn't affect performance good or bad.

Bill

Scot Minesinger

Greg is right that canister needs to remain and all original vacuum lines replaced.

In general most car manufacturers did not install not needed items as that ate into their profit.  There may be a few things that can go, such as air pump, that served only for emissions, but this is not one of them.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Stitches upholstery

Thanks for the info! Here's another question, there's a switch of some sort mounted next to the carb on the left side. It looks like it may have had a tab that on it that would move when the throttle was moved. It looks to be on the same bracket that the return spring hooks to and has a 2 wire plug going to it. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks

35-709

That is the transmission kick-down electric switch.  When you give the engine hard throttle the TH400 transmission downshifts electrically into "passing gear" by means of that switch.  Sounds like you need a new or good used one if that tab is broken off. 

You would be doing yourself a big favor to get a 1978 Cadillac Shop Manual for your car.  In your case you would need the 1977 Cadillac Shop Manual and the 1978 Supplement --- easily found on eBay Motors.

The 1977 manual ----
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Cadillac-DeVille-Eldorado-Seville-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-Plus-Wiring-/171715426843?hash=item27fb097a1b&vxp=mtr

The 1978 Supplement ----
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Cadillac-Service-Shop-Repair-Manual-Book-Engine-Drivetrain-Electrical-OEM-/140815135794?hash=item20c93c7432&vxp=mtr

While you're there get the Fisher Body Manual covering your year also.  All invaluable help. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2