News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac stop light switch

Started by maitairon, July 24, 2015, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitairon

I'm confused! The 1957 service Manuel has to be the worst ever printed. My brake lights aren't working . When I looked at it, I noticed the lever that depresses the switch is bolted to the brake pedal bracket, which didn't move. One side depresses the switch, the other lies on a round bracket on the brake pedal and doesn't move. Did the bracket originally have a clip that makes it follow the brake pedal? If so, what does it look like?
I would appreciate any help you can give....Ron
1962 Eldorado
1957 Cadillac series 62 conv.

Walter Youshock

The spring in the brake switch also pushes against the bracket.  The original brake light switches were a bit problematic.  It's possible your switch was replaced with an aftermarket one.

Can you get a photo of what your setup looks like currently?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

maitairon

Hi Walter.  My set up is totally original. The spring in my switch is weak since it has been depressed probably for years. I couldn't move the bracket by hand because it hadn't moved in years. I just thought that there might be some kind of clip that held the bracket to the brake pedal ?
1962 Eldorado
1957 Cadillac series 62 conv.

Walter Youshock

There should be a wave washer between the bolt head and the bracket to stabilize the bracket.  I greased those areas when my switch gave up. 

What happens is the brake lights stay on and the switch overheats.  Then the spring tension weakens and they're on all the time.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham