News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1941 Coil Spring Retainers Leather?

Started by Mike Wenrich #1666, October 18, 2015, 02:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wenrich #1666

While replacing coil springs and lower A arms I noticed the replacement rubber spring pads (Cadillac calls them retainers) in my original A arms are made of leather.  If that was the stock material it's no wonder the metal beneath them rusted.  Most of the pads were in pieces but one came out intact.  Anyone know if leather was the original material?  It also might be a home made replacement.  I have owned the car since 1974 and this is the first time I have dropped the springs. 

Bobby B

Mike,
Hi….Yep, three frames later, they are all the same and rotted away to near like dust. Looks like leather or some type of reinforced rubber. The replacements are not cheap, but they are rubber now, like a modern day spring seat. Look to the Buick guys for them. If I remember correctly, they come in two sizes , and the size we need is the "oddball" one. You don't have to go to "you know who" Rubber to pay an outrageous price because they are "Cadillac."  So many of our parts cross over to Buicks. Bob's Automobilia, Cars Inc., etc. all stock them. Hope this Helps!
                                                                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Tlentz

This is great info!  I have spent way to much on you know who, however reliable and honest.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

Mike Wenrich #1666

I already have the replacements from you know who and posted this to confirm they are originally leather and maybe advise others of what to expect.  The amount of dough I spent on rubber parts is ridiculous but what-cha-gonna-do?  It's a 1941 car and I was grateful to get the parts.  Thanks for the info on alternatives though. 

Bobby B

Mike & Todd,
I hear you loud and clear! I have a mortgage payment into little baggies of rubber parts and hardware, never mind the ridiculous wait time.  How about 6 weeks for a rubber shifter rod/throttle bushing ???? That stunt set me back in time a few. I keep ordering in small doses, only fooling myself into thinking that I'm saving money ::). I have found quite a few alternatives and being creative helps. I almost gave up trying to source every single grommet, plug, bushing, clamp, clip, etc. associated with the firewall. No kidding aside, I must've spent at least 60 hours researching the correct items to put it back together. I was ready to give up at that point, but it all worked out, amidst much angst and frustration. I thank some very key people on this forum for lots of advice, help, and pictures of the correct items. Without them, I wouldn't be at the point I am now with this car. I have stated it before that this will be my last car from the 40"s. Never again…….
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Barry M Wheeler #2189

That's partially why my '41 is sitting in Jeff's garage right now. The Seville even starts when it's hot!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Bobby: If you think 40s Cadillac parts are expensive try buying muscle car parts. I have owned the 71 Olds 442 below for 25 years, buying it from the original owner. A few years ago I decided it was time to restore which meant lots of sheet metal, NOS parts needed for a full and correct restoration. As with our 40s Cadillac cars, the prices on muscle car parts are high although the supply of NOS muscle car parts is still available if you are willing to pay a premium. As we all know, once you start a restoration you have to continue if you expect to get most of your money back when you eventually sell. In the case of the 442, I knew I had some rust in the floor board. That rust and more rust in the pillar post meant pulling the body which then showed a badly rusted frame. We are fortunate here in Phoenix to have Desert Valley Auto Parts which supplied most of the sheet metal. After finishing the restoration and adding up all the hours spent searching for parts plus high prices, I have done my last restoration. Any cars I buy in the future will have been restored by someone else.  Bill

Tlentz

Bill, The last live auction I watched proved to me that I'm spending the money on my cars so someday my kids can enjoy them.  That makes it all worth it to me and not hurt as much when the costs go up and up. 
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

Bobby B

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on October 19, 2015, 11:29:11 AM
Bobby: If you think 40s Cadillac parts are expensive try buying muscle car parts. I have owned the 71 Olds 442 below for 25 years, buying it from the original owner. A few years ago I decided it was time to restore which meant lots of sheet metal, NOS parts needed for a full and correct restoration. As with our 40s Cadillac cars, the prices on muscle car parts are high although the supply of NOS muscle car parts is still available if you are willing to pay a premium. As we all know, once you start a restoration you have to continue if you expect to get most of your money back when you eventually sell. In the case of the 442, I knew I had some rust in the floor board. That rust and more rust in the pillar post meant pulling the body which then showed a badly rusted frame. We are fortunate here in Phoenix to have Desert Valley Auto Parts which supplied most of the sheet metal. After finishing the restoration and adding up all the hours spent searching for parts plus high prices, I have done my last restoration. Any cars I buy in the future will have been restored by someone else.  Bill

Bill,
  Hi. That car is beautiful! I am fully versed in the muscle car mania. I had quite a few Chevelles and mostly Pontiac GTO's. We sold our last GTO only few years back. Over 35 years I was smart enough to stockpile as many GTO parts as I could find when they were cheap and plentiful. Two garages full later, and no GTO's left. Now everything is through the roof, and I'm in agreement with you as far as purchasing a car that you like (even if driver quality) and enjoy it, instead of wasting time and money hoping that one day it might be finished in your lifetime. I would always want something to tinker with, but I've owned so many cars at this point, that I've come to the conclusion that in the end, it's a losing deal. Like most of us, I only do it because I enjoy it and it can be a form of therapy. It has kept me out of trouble, and gotten me into trouble on many occasions  ::).  Years ago cars were for the hobbyist, tinkerers, gear heads, etc. Now you have  a whole new playing field of people purchasing cars for all sorts of reasons, most not even mechanically inclined, knowledgeable, or able to work on their own car. When I was younger, I didn't know one person who didn't work on their own car. Nowadays, the hobby is just all over the map. This subject has been discussed many times, in many publications, and has it's merits and pitfalls. I still love talking shop with people in the know. It's a common bond with anybody passionate enough about their hobby. Lately, there has been quite a few times that I've seen a car go across the block and said to myself, " I would've purchased that in a heartbeat if i was there. I totally understand your point. There are more cars than time……
                                                                                                                             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH