News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Passat VS ATS

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, December 15, 2015, 09:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Sunday, our local Cadillac/Buick dealer who also sells the German imports across the street had a full page ad about sign & drive Passat and Jetta VWs, at a lower price per month than my current ATS payment. So, I thought we'd at least take a look and see if I could get out of the ATS early.

We arranged for a Passat like the beautiful blue sedan on the floor to drive while the ATS was being evaluated. The first thing I noticed was the steering felt like a 1950s Chrysler "full-time" power steering. The wheel felt very loose. I was able to correct this by going into "sport" mode on the interstate. But that meant premium fuel all the time.

Gay kept up a constant stream of complaints about her seat. I also was too cold at 71 degrees and too hot at 72.

Back at the dealership, the salesman got the seat adjusted for Gay (almost) to her liking. And, quite quickly, I was offered a deal that was a few dollars MORE than I'm paying now.

I passed on the deal, and came to several conclusions. Number one is that there is a reason that Cadillacs cost more. And most importantly, that if you pick up a  young lady on a blind date in 1958 and tell her that "My Cadillac is outside," then that's what she's going to expect the rest of her life.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

76eldo

Is it April 1st already? :o

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I went from a Dodge to a VW and that was quite a step down in overall comfort.   Can't imagine the contrast between a Cad and VW.   Overall its been a decent car but I didn't buy it for the ultimate in comfort,  I got it for mileage and figured because of the crazy high resale value figured I could get out if I didn't like it. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Funny, I converted a VW Passat owner to Cadillac in two seconds back in Washington DC 2001.  I was stopped in my 1995 Fleetwood due to a cab driver.  I was just about to go and heard a big bang.  A VW Passat had squarely rear ended my RWD Fleetwood.  I opened the door not phased by the crash and inspected the scene.  The VW Passatt was a brand new 2002 completely destroyed, radiator fluid gushing out, fender and hood all crumpled and buckled in numerous places, air bags deployed and etc.  The driver appeared a little drunk on a date with his girl friend.  Unlikely he enjoyed a happy ending to that date.

When the VW driver surveyed the accident he said "I cannot believe how little damage your car sustained, I'm buy a Cadillac!"  My brother drove a Passat (liked it as much as I liked the Fleetwood) at the time and I enjoy reminding him how easy it was to convert a VW driver to Cadillac.

The Fleetwood did not lose a taillight, but the rear bumper had some minor damage and the rubber surround has a little deformation, really hardly noticeable, cost like 2k to repair.  I drove away and continued my plans.  The VW driver received a ticket.

Comparing a Cadillac to a VW is like comparing America to Antarctica.

I spoiled my wife with nine foot wide garage doors (she never had a garage before), she thinks 8' foot wide are abnormally too narrow.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

jaiello21

Interesting thoughts everyone. Whenever I drove my first Cadillac a year ago (I am only 19 years old  ;D) and got back into my 2012 Jeep Wrangler I appreciated the Cadillac that much more. Talk about polar opposites; one is very refined, and the other is like a tin can. Having the Jeep as my daily driver for almost two years now, I was surprised at how long it took me to get "use to" the vehicle again. I am sure that after driving Cadillac's since 1958, Barry, that most vehicles probably feel foreign to you and your wife! Although the ATS is definitely a completely different vehicle than the Cadillac's of yesteryear.

I had a chance to drive a 2012 ATS 2.0T recently and it reminded me much of a BMW 3 Series, both in performance and handling characteristics, which is a good thing I assume, since that is the direct competitor.
"Cadillac- A New Measure of Automotive Supremacy"

Jay Friedman

Many years ago I had an experience similar to Scot's.  My '49 Cad was parked in a space with a friend's Honda parked right next to and parallel to it.  His wife was a new driver, and backed out very quickly and very badly, in such a way that the Honda's front bumper and fender somehow hooked onto my Cad's rear bumper.  (This was back in the days when Hondas had real bumpers.)  The Honda's bumper was ripped right off the car and my '49's rear bumper had lots of Honda paint on it and appeared to be damaged.  Thinking they'd owe me lots because of damage they were very apologetic.  I got out a rag with some solvent on it and wiped off the Cad, which was totally undamaged, while their car's damage cost them $500 as they didn't want to report it to their insurance company.   
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

BDC2008

I had to go on a long business trip with several stops and decided to rent a car to keep miles off my vehicle. Due to some unforseen circumstances I ended up with a brand new 08 DTS. It had everything : cooled & heated seats, heated headlight spray, heated steering wheel;  in other words it did everything but wipe your...
but after 1400 miles I was very disappointed. The car felt driving like a wet mop on the interstate. I was absolutely not impressed, I would of picked a Passat over that DTS any day of the week!

Scot Minesinger

G Bruins,

Two thoughts: 

1.  Rental cars are not made as well as the car if you purchased it as an individual, especially in the suspension and handling.  I know there is no documentation or proof of this, but that has been my experience.  If you had been in accident you would be safer in the DTS.  I still would rather have the DTS than the Passatt, but I get where you are coming from.

2.  The modern front drive cars I agree, do not like them.  For me it needs to be RWD, or nothing especially for a daily driver.  Unfortunately the DTS is front drive.  Luckily the CT6 is RWD and I think Cadillac figured it out.  There is too much going on up front to match the handling and driving characteristics of a RWD car.  The 70's Eldorados are OK for classic car ownership because you are not driving over rough roads at high speed, you only drive them on nice roads during good weather usually.

76eldo

I guess everything is subjective.

I have owned a lot or cars and have been driving late model Cadillacs in the 70's, 80's 90's and currently.

I have an 07 DTS and love the way it rides.  Roomy, rock solid, fast, and comfortable.  Compare it to a Passat?

Passat sounds like the sound it makes when a large bug hits your Cadillac's windshield.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 16, 2015, 07:37:46 AM
G Bruins

1.  Rental cars are not made as well as the car if you purchased it as an individual, especially in the suspension and handling.  I know there is no documentation or proof of this, but that has been my experience. 

Scott, I would take a Dts over a Passat any day of the week but you dont honestly believe that Cadillac would not make a car as well as the next one going down the line because it is being sold to a rental car company ? A rental might be abused more than the average car by time someone rents it but to think Cadillac would some how cheapen the build quality because it is a fleet car seems a little far fetched. Now the rental car firm may not opt for the top of line options but to say it would not be made as well as another seems wrong. It would cost GM more to change the assembly process or use cheaper parts on a select car since it is going in a fleet instead of private ownership .
R. Waligora

Scot Minesinger

rwchatham,

Don't know what to tell you, I wrote that there is no documentation..my experience.  It is true for me a rented car even with lower mileage does not seem to drive as well as a car privately owned of the same make and year.  I used to rent cars a lot in the 90's and not so much now.  Did rent a DTS (or what ever it was called then) in 2002 w/under 10k miles for an extended period (one month) and drove same car later privately owned and there was a positive difference associated with the non-rental.

Auto manufacturer's get beat up on fleet sales, and so if there was a way to save a dime they would without publishing this info.  Today that is more difficult to do.  Several car dealers I know back in the 1990's drove new cars always with odometer/speedo disconnected, and you know what happened after that.  Less of this goes on now.

Dan LeBlanc

I can't see that happening either.  Most rental vehicles passed through the manufacturer's buyback program - they lease the car for a predetermined amount of time/mileage, and then passes through an auction, to a dealer, ultimately ending up in private hands afterwards.  To have differing quality standards would be unheard of.  It would create warranty nightmares - remember, these cars all had the same warranty, not to mention legal issues created also.

Most likely, the perceived quality difference was from how the car was treated in service.  A lot of rentals have the snot pounded out of them.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jock82

i have a 1989 sedan de ville that was an Avis rental I bought in October 1989. It had 14,000  miles on it when I bought it and it has been all over the country coast to coast without incident.  This has been one of the best cars I have ever had.  I have rented a lot of Cadillacs and I cannot tell the difference between a rental and one that is not a rental.

Guy Moore CLC #12650
1989 sedan de ville
1994 de ville Concours
2009 DTS
1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650

Scot Minesinger

It is good that some have enjoyed rental cars as if they were privately owned.  Wish I could say the same.

Back to VW vs. Cadillac, really - there is no comparison.  When I was in high school a VW driving experience was on a par with a visit to the dentist to get a cavity drilled.

BDC2008

Well you must of finished HS a long time ago! My Passat TDI (2015) is perfect to run around in town with: 40+mpg easy to park but don't take a 1000 mile road trip in it if you are going to do it in 2 days!

Scot Minesinger

1979, and VW has come a long way since then, but I can't get the negative of VW(and their Bugs) out of my head.  My brother debates against me which is better Passat or Fleetwood all the time-you read about when the Passat rear ended my Fleetwood.  You and my brother would be in strong agreement.  What Cadillac model and year do you own? 

I will be driving about 600 miles tomorrow in my CVPI - looking forward to it.

BDC2008

My cadillac is a 1935 and my Passat 2015.
On long road trips a modern cadillac is more comfortable but I don't like the way they handle on the road, like I said it feels like driving a wet mop.