News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

My car burned up

Started by JoeCeretti, November 19, 2015, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Joe,

That is one of my favorite Cads. Hate to see it lost.
Know you have restored this beauty to a wonderful driver.

the Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

KD

sorry for your loss Joe.
We all know how hard you worked on it
Ken D CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

harvey b

Joe,That is hard to fathom?,lucky it wasnt inside the garage,it could have been a lot worse.If i were you i would try and buy it back,you will be able to get it cheaper then someone else could,also if you are looking for a "new " one,around the same vintage it would make a great parts car or some good trading bait?I wouldnt give it up without a fight,they are just too hard to find anymore,if nyou wanted to fix it,a salvage/rebuilt title wont hurt a car hat old,just make sure they dont mark it non repairable,then it is only good for parts.if it was to go to an Impact Auto Auction sale i can help you buy it back if you wanted. Good Luck   Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Quentin Hall

Gday Joe, I am back from my contemplative "time away" and I'm saddened to hear about the 38. I know exactly what I would be doing with it if you manage to get it back. Don't be disheartened. Life can lead you  certain ways that may have you asking "why me?". But take it on the chin. Keep doing what it is that  you do and know  that whatever the hurdle, you will overcome it.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

JoeCeretti

After deciding to just let the insurance company settle and take the car away I spent the last few days figuring out where the fire started. DOME LIGHT WIRE IN THE A PILLAR!

The only *($&*#ing wire I didn't change. Hindsight is 20:20. I should have either left that disconnected or put a low amp fuse on it until I could remove the headliner to change it.

The car is leaving my driveway some time today.

I would have kept the car but on close inspection the fire got to the wooden body supports, buckled the cowl on the passenger side, buckled the hood and the area that holds the hood hinge. Also seriously damaged the cowl vent.

On a side note, but maybe important to some. I am obsessive about collecting spare parts when I find them. I have a bunch of stuff that is hard to find. I will compile a list after Christmas but if anyone needs anything for a 38-41 I might have what you need.

1938 60S nearly done and then destroyed by fire :(
1989 Buick Riviera (Arctic White Paint / Blue Cloth Interior)

Quentin Hall

Hey Joe, if you have the narrow dome light switch  bezels. I need a pair. You  sure you can't at least salvage the remains to make a custom from? Google the Saoutchik 1938 Graham for inspiration.
     There is always an upside. You just have to turn it round till you find up.
Have a Merry Xmas regardless. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

JoeCeretti

I seriously thought about it. Too late now.. I've seen the last of the car in my driveway. It was flatbedded away by the insurance company a few hours ago. Those bezels I do not have. I did actually have a few but I gave them away to a friend a few months ago for his restoration.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Must have been hard to watch it go.
Sorry
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Joe,

I suppose the only good thing to come out of this whole episode is that you did investigate, and discover the cause of the fire.

Hopefully, your discovery will aid others in not having to suffer the same result as yourself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

So was the insurance settlement a stated value amount or market value?  I'm curious because I want to make sure I have mine insured properly..............

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bill Ingler #7799

Joe; It must have been very hard to see the car that you brought back to life leave your driveway on a flat bed truck. Hopefully you will find another Cadillac and work your magic on another restoration. It was very interesting reading your problems and how you solved them. Not only did you find the answer to your problems but you posted your results and in this way you helped many of us with our own car problems. Thanks for being part of the Cadillac Forum and hope you are back soon with another car. Good luck.   Bill

oldcarguy

Joe, I'm sorry about your loss... Don't know if you plan to do another coupe, but I have a '39 series 61 that is pretty much original and runs good. Needs work, but a good car. If you are interested, just give me a call.

Don...256-777-3379
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

JoeCeretti

Thanks Don. The shipping from Texas to Canada would just kill me though. :(

oldcarguy

Hi Joe, not Texas, Tennessee! Still expensive !! Anyway, it's not on the market right now, so will probably have it for a while.

Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

James Gray

Oh Phooey... I just got back on my project today, was scanning through posts and restoration stuff I had been watching previously, then saw this. I miss that car and I had never seen it in person. Watching you work on it via these posts made me become attached to it.
Bummer Joe
But it brings to light the good side of this. For me and many others, anyway. Maybe, We'll get to see your next project from start to finish.

Best wishes Joe,

James
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269