News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

General Dual 90 Tires

Started by Andrew Trout, January 18, 2015, 01:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

Does anyone have experience with General Dual 90 tires?

My father saw an ad for Lucas Classic Tires for General Dual 90's in the latest issue of Self Stater and flashed back to his first job in 1961, changing tires at the local tire shop. He recalls Cadillac owners driving their just purchased cars down the street from Valley Cadillac to get General Dual 90's put on instead.

We're restoring a 1961 convertible, and are very interested in putting General Dual 90's on our car for this sentimental purpose. We can get them in the correct size (820-15, 2 3/4" WW) as well.

Is there any reason we shouldn't, such as the tires don't last long or the car handles and stops poorly in them compared to US Royals or another brand.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Dan LeBlanc

Are these Dual 90's being reproduced?  I'd be quite concerned with the age of the tires I'd be purchasing if not.

With films like this, this is probably why people decided to buy them

http://youtu.be/JTeMp3NpvPU

http://youtu.be/UdakJCV6cGg
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

I remember as a little kid, my dad bought a new 64 sedan DeVille and he had the dual 90's on it because we were taking a trip cross country that summer.

Great looking tires.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Series75

Yes I installed a set of repop Dual 90's onthe 1962 Sixty Special.    At times the tread design translates to operating with 8 tires on the car or like "dually" on each wheel.   Tom CLC#6866

Dan LeBlanc

Would you say they handle about the same or better than a regular bias ply tire?

They look quite neat in the videos.  Maybe that's the route I'll go with the '53.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Series75

They are OK.  I like the look/design better than the performance.   Having said that within the bias ply catagory give me a Goodyear Polyglas anyday over these.    Pic attached, upside down.
Tom CLC#6866

D.Yaros

When I hear of General Dual 90, the brand Goodyear Double Eagle immediately comes to mind.  I believe they were in competition with one another in the late 50's, early 60's for top of the line tires for owners of expensive automobiles?

Ah, a trip back in time!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Let's not forget US Royal Masters.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Series75

On the you tube videos I like the pitch man's comment, "remember your brakes stop the Wheel, your tires stop the car..."
Tom CLC#6866

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My father had a 1967 Buick Electra Limited with Dual 90's on it. I can still remember people being impressed by the tires, which stood out because they had a triple ring narrow whitewall.

New GM cars in those days came standard with cheapo two ply tires, so there was a big market for tradeup tires for owners of highline cars.

TonyZappone #2624

I remember Lewis General Tire on East Avenue in Rochester.  My dad put a set on an Olds 98 at some point in the '50's.  Actually, the tire most associated with Cadillac dealer changeovers was Vogue.  Some Cadillac dealers still change show room cars over to Vogues, install an ugly (look ugly on today's cars) vinyl roof and inflate the sticker maybe $3000  in dealer installed options.  An elderly friend of mine from Rhode Island is still falling for this sort of thing, those roofs look kinda dumb on an XTS.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Series75

Do those dealers still attach those ridiculous names and badging such as "Spring Edition" and when I lived in New England the Mass Dealers used "Commonwealth Edition", can't beleive some owners actually believe(d) these were official Cadillac models.   Tom CLC #6866

R Schroeder

Well , they list "Spring Edition" here as an option.

Coupe DeVille Spring Edition Pkg. (incl. cast alum wheels, front & rear carpeted floor mats, illuminated entry, leather seating, illuminated vanity mirrors, six-way power passenger seat, full cabriolet roof, and gold ornamentation)

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad91d.htm

Andrew Trout

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on January 21, 2015, 06:03:51 AM
I remember Lewis General Tire on East Avenue in Rochester.  My dad put a set on an Olds 98 at some point in the '50's.  Actually, the tire most associated with Cadillac dealer changeovers was Vogue.  Some Cadillac dealers still change show room cars over to Vogues, install an ugly (look ugly on today's cars) vinyl roof and inflate the sticker maybe $3000  in dealer installed options.  An elderly friend of mine from Rhode Island is still falling for this sort of thing, those roofs look kinda dumb on an XTS.

Yup, my father worked at Lewis General Tire. If you Dad had a friend who drove the Pontiac my father crashed into the Little Theatre, my father's still super sorry about that.  ;D

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

936CD69

At least from 87-95 Cadillac produced a "Spring special Edition" on deVilles and some years of Eldos. I should know..I own 2 93s....

Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

TonyZappone #2624

I remember something like that.  When did that happen?  A buddy of mine drove through the front entrance of Grinnell's Steak House on Monroe Ave!
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

nik bond

I just bought a 1989 coupe deville ''Commonwealth Edition''with all the the chrome and gold and bells and whistles.The question is was there such a  thing as a ''Commonwealth Edition?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Back in the sixties, I put a set of retread Generals on my 1941 6127 which was a daily driver at the time. They were a nice tire.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville