News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado Radio and Ballast Resistor

Started by Whit, April 28, 2016, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Two questions for the more experienced than I:
1) The radio on my Biarritz works (good news) but the speakers are shot. I note that there is a transformer on the front speaker which I assume protects the radios output transistor. Are modern replacement speakers useable without damaging the output transistor, or do I need to find speakers with the transformer in tact?

2) I note that the wiring diagram for this car does not show a ballast resistor in the distributor circuit. Does this car not use a ballast resistor for some reason?

Any advice greatly appreciated.   Thanks   Whit    whitmcfarlin@msn.com

Dan LeBlanc

Hi Whit

On the ignition resistor question.  There is a resistor wire from the ignition switch to the coil in place of the ballast resistor.   I know in 1961 it's cloth covered.  I'd presume 1960 is the same.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Whit

Dan:  There is a black wire that comes through the firewall in a harness that I tagged as going to the coil. I couldn't figure out what it was for, since there was a wire from the distributor to the coil already. This may be the wire from the ignition switch to the coil. Does it connect to the + side of the coil?

Thanks Whit

Whit

Dan:  You are right on the wire that goes back to the ignition switch. I found an old wiring diagram that refers to that wire as a resistor and it attaches to the + side of the coil from the ignition switch.

Thanks for that clue...Whit

Now to the radio speaker transformer question...???????????

bcroe

That coil resistance wire sometimes went to an extra contact on the ignition
switch, sometimes to an extra contact on the starter.  I believe the speaker
transformer is part of the radio transistor output circuit.  You are going to
need to move it and the associated circuitry/connector to the replacement
speaker, for the radio to function.  Bruce Roe

Whit

Thanks Bruce:

I will proceed with that. Is the rear speaker a 'takeoff' from the front speaker and may not need a second transformer?

Whit

bcroe

I don't find a radio drawing that far back here; probably would be about a SAMS PHOTOFACT AR-20.  From memory, those radios used a single power germanium
PNP output transister, driving a load into the negative supply (ground).  To get
the Xister matched to the load, they had a tapped (auto) transformer, which
got mounted on the speaker.  There was some kind of trick disconnect to turn
off output power without damaging the Xister if the speaker was disconnected. 
If there were 2 speakers, the transformer signal had to be brought back to the
radio to a fader control, then back to 2 speakers.  Some of these radios also
used a line of vacuum tubes powered directly by 12V, so the big vibrator high
voltage supply was eliminated.  By 63 tubes were gone, 100% transistor.  My
first car was a 62.  Bruce Roe

cadman59

Hi Whit,

Last year I replaced the front speaker of my '59.
I ordered the new speaker from turnswitch, which place is run by Greg Thompson. Greg really knows what he is talking about, and I highly recommend him.
On the internet I found this website, which explains that you have to transfer your old transformer to the new speaker, and how to do so.
Greg Thompson was even kind enough to attach a bracket to the new speaker, so I didn't even have to do that myself.

Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Whit

Feiko:

Many thanks for the leads...I will follow up.

Whit

76eldo

You will need to use the transformer. The rear speaker has a single wire going to it. Not sure if it plugs into the transformer as well but I think the rear speaker does not have a transformer and the wire is not long enough to go into the radio.

Working from memory here. My radio was converted to modern guts so of uses modern speakers and has am-fm with nice sound and an aux input.  Looks toally stock.

I ran all new wires for it.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadman59

I personally preferred to keep the original radio all stock. When I bought the car, the radio was not working.

Searching the web I found that, with radio's from that age, it is most likely that all electrolytic capacitors have to be replaced, and since it appeared some previous owner had tried to hook up a modern speaker it was likely the output transistor was shot.
So, using the right SAMS PHOTOFACT I replaced all electrolytic capacitors with new modern ones, and managed to find a NOS DS-501 transistor on EBay to replace the old one.
Hooked up the radio, and all worked perfectly right away! Even the search-bar works like a charm.

Last year I purchased a RediRad. This device connects to the antenna, and kind of "broadcasts" an input signal from i.e. your MP3-player to AM.
Now I can enjoy period-correct music from a small MP3-player, hidden in the ashtray.

I even downloaded several period-correct cool radiocommercials, which randomly play between the songs.
For me, it just adds another dimension to driving this time capsule  8).
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

bcroe

The good news about these radios, is just about anything can be repaired
for like new performance.  Sometimes it will take more than the speakers
and electrolytic capacitors.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

My problem is that I like to listen to music when I am in the car.  Even though I live in the Phila area there are no decent music stations on AM.

The job on my radio is an internal conversion and gives me AM and FM plus a port for a blue tooth receiver or an I pod type device.

The speakers are dual coil, but in the exact factory sizes.  When I turn it on AM no one would know it's not the original factory radio.  Other than adding an FM convertor to a stock radio I would have had no other options.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

Brian:   Although I have a working original radio, I am thinking about buying one of the more modern AM/FM radios that drop into place and work much better. I also like decent music. I will save the original unit for a future 'purist' who may buy the car when I have had my fun with it.

Any suggestions for the replacement radio? I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a decent radio.

Thanks   Whit

76eldo

Whit,

I would look for a nice looking original radio to have converted.

Aftermarket radios of any kind always look cheesy in a Cadillac in my opinion, especially a Biarritz.

BR
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

I would look for an original radio, have it restored to AM and let it go.  In time, this will be against the norm.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David Greenburg

I will second having your radio converted.  Mine was converted by the PO.  It gets FM and has an MP3 jack, but looks completely stock. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Whit

Thanks to all for the input. My original radio is fine except for the pitting of the bezel and knobs. I don't know who converts these to more modern guts. Converting seems appealing because I could get rid of the transformer on the speaker (both of which are shot). I need new speakers anyway.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Whit

76eldo

There are a number of companies that do this.  I am sure if you google antique car radio conversion you will get a lot of hits.

I used Mike Hagan in Fairless Hills PA.  The first board he installed was giving me some trouble and was cutting out after using the radio about 20-30 minutes.  He replaced the board with a newer updated one at no cost.  Seems to be a good guy to deal with.  I have a decent donor radio if you want to email me.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

David Greenburg

My conversion, while done by the previous owner, was done by Jim's Sales & Service (mp3amradio@yahoo.com).  Jim seems like a real stand up guy.   When I got my car, the power antenna had been replaced with a conventional antenna, and the power antenna connection and controls had been removed from the radio chassis.  I found a typed instruction sheet in the glove compartment explaining how to operate the modified radio, with a phone number at the bottom.  I called the number and it was Jim's.  I explained my predicament. Jim said if I could get the parts and send him the radio, he'd install the parts at no cost beyond shipping.  Pretty great service given that I was a subsequent owner, and the original work had been performed several years earlier. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special