News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1938 cadillac Lasalle

Started by DAVID E, August 13, 2016, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVID E

I have a 1938 Cadillac LaSalle
having a couple problems as I just bough this car.  The first thing it is very hard to start , as it cranks slow, replaced the 6 volt battery, Than once it gets a a little quicker Have to pour gas into the carburetor, I don't see any time of choke on this car, after runs it runs good, but shut it off the same problem all over again.
Anyone has and suggestions?

tturley

I have a 1940 lasalle that was the same way. I replaced the battery cables with welding cable, made sure every connection was clean and tight, ran ground cables from the firewall to engine and frame to starter and installed new battery.
It starts instantly now.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

ebuliavac

The accelerator pump in your carburetor may not be working.  I fixed this problem with my 1940 Cadillac when I rebuilt the carburetor.  Gook luck!

Ed Buliavac
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham

tripwire

Tom,
What size (gauge) welding cable did you use?  I'm sure other folks would be interested as well.

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

gary griffin

I use double 2-00 welding cable because I have a lot of it laying around as welding was part of my business.

My 1940 LaSalle has automatic choke, look at the exhaust manifold and if there is a tubing from the manifold to the carburetor that is the "Choke stove) which automatically chokes the vehicle. I am not sure of the first years for automatic choke?

Hard starting can be numerous things. Sitting too long is one of them. I use a vacuum cleaner pressure end of the hose in the gas tank fill tube with a rag loosely around it to push the gas into the carburetor. Be careful not to over-pressure the gas tank.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

DAVID E

after it runs for any time period short or long, at cranks slow and have to prime with fuel

Dan LeBlanc

Your 38 LaSalle  (yes, just LaSalle, not Cadillac LaSalle - that would be akin to a Buick Oldsmobile) should have an automatic choke. I agree with the other posters here that it should always start immediately.

I recently drove a friend's 38 LaSalle and even after sitting for a week or two, after one or two pumps of the accelerator, starts almost immediately after hitting the starter button.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

tturley

I believe the cable I used is 1.0. My 40 Lasalle also has an auto choke and I believe you pump the gas one time to set it.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

tturley

I know some have installed a fiber insulator under the carb to minimize carb tempeture that they say helps hot starts.
If you get the battery and grounds right I bet it will spin fast enough to start when hot
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

DAVID E

I checked out the battery and found it was a fleet farm battery, not sure that it is even the correct battery for, I replaced cables, but starter gets hot quick,

tturley

Did you replace with 1 or 2
Did you ground everything?
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Tom Boehm

Hello David, I have a 1940 Lasalle. When I bought a battery for mine it was a type 2    6 volt. Some tractors may use that battery also. It is important to get all the connections clean. This includes the battery pole clamps, where the positive cable(or braided copper strap) attaches to the frame, where the negative cable attaches to the starter, and the braided copper strap jumper between the frame and the engine block. I used a dremel tool with a grinding bit to clean off the paint and rust where two surfaces bolt together. I put dielectric grease on the two surfaces to keep them from rusting or tarnishing again. This alone may improve the situation. Then try a thicker negative cable between the battery and the starter. This will maximize the voltage to the starter.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

DAVID E

thanks!
I replaced both cables , heavy ground cable, clean the paint off the surface for better ground. and replaced the battery, It started great, But shut it off the starter just dont have enough to engaged. But once I leave it for a short time starts right up

DAVID E

I was wondering if anyone knows what the electrical lay out is supposed for this 1938 LaSalle? As most cars in the 30's I thought was positive ground. This car has the positive cable from the battery to the starter. The Negative cable from the battery to the frame and than to the engine.

Steve Passmore

It should be positive ground but many have been changed over the years usually accompanied by a 12 volt conversion.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harvey b

Another way that you can tell if it is positive ground or not,is by the ends on the cables themselves, the positive end is bigger then the negative end,It has always been like that.but since you have changed yours,you may have to look at your old ones and see if they are like that,these cars will run if you hook them up "backwards",not well but they will run.If it was my car i would look at the timing to see if it is set to the right spot,i had the same problem with my 37,it would start great when cold,but would be hard to start when it warmed up,moved the timing a bit,starts great now,even when i stall it sometimes.Harvey
Harvey Bowness