News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac "75" differebces

Started by veesixteen, February 27, 2017, 06:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

A friend recently pointed out some differences between TWO 1958 Cadillac "75" models.
One has small quarter windows; the other has larger ones.
Despite my 60-year interest in Cadillacs, I must admit I had never noticed those differences.
Can any Forum members give me some clues?
Is one of these a "custom" job?
The 1958 product catalog shows the smaller quarter window.
The 1958 Databook interior shot shows the larger quarter window.

Thanks in advance for your detective work.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Here are a couple of better (larger) photos.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Interesting.

There are several examples of factory artwork, illustration etc that did not correspond to the final product.

After a brief search of 1958 Series 75 images, I could find no other example of featuring the same sail panels of the car you have shown. In any case, I do not believe that roofline ever made it into final production.

Possibly a styling exercise that had been considered or perhaps even a factory custom job. Any data on the car, build sheet info etc?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Yann,

I also have never seen the larger side window  before. I suspect it was done as an SO/XP in GM or by some outside coach works. In the smaller window pic you can make out the lever used to slide the window open. I suspect the larger window is fixed as  the lever is not visible. The larger window would not be able to slide back into the roof panel.

Who ever originally sat passenger rear, may have wanted better visibility, or just be seen more clearly, than the stock window allowed. Mamie Eisenhower had a '55 limousine with similar side window modifications plus a modified back light. Knowing the cars history or where delivered would be helpful in explaining the feature.

Eric makes a good point about authenticity of Datebook and sales images that are illustrations rather than photographs. There are many instances of the illustrations being incorrect like: '71 SDV showing a halo style vinyl top, and at least three interior illustrations of the '60 Brougham interior that did not reach production.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon