News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Wells Gardner 5X

Started by jackworstell, January 29, 2015, 04:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackworstell

Anyone have schematic, parts list etc for a Wells Gardner 5X radio used in 1937 Cadillacs  ?

Jack Worstell    #7558

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello Jack. Look in John F. Rider, in volume 8, page 1 &2.... John Lehman ... CLC# 26365... 

rdreher1

Did you ever find the schematic for the Wells Gardner 5X? Is there on-line source for it?
I don't see one at Nostalgia Air. Some of the 6 series radios look pretty similar, but I would like to find the exact schematic.

Thanks,
-Rich

rdreher1

Okay...I found it.
I was looking in Riders Volume 8 alright, but under WELLS-GARD section, and not under "CADILLAC PAGE 8-1" section where it is located.

Here is a direct link to the schematic on NostalgiaAir for the 5X:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/download.asp?FN=\M0002509.pdf

-Rich

bcroe

Thats cool, speaker field coil, RF stage, remote control, 175KHZ IF, and a single tube
push pull output I had never seen before.  Hope you can find a replacement syncronous
vibrator, which makes battery polarity critical.  Should perform well.  Bruce Roe

jackworstell

Two years ago,  when I was into this,   I found a solid state vibrator from

www.everythingradio

.....and this, with two diodes,  worked OK.   As I recall....the two diodes are needed because this radio uses a non-synchronous vibrator....ie the vibrator also rectifies.   

(actually I ended up using a solid state replacement that some guy in California made up,    but I don't think this service is available anymore.)

I put in the solid state vibrator, put in the two diodes, replaced all of the capacitors and had a local radio guy to do the electronic alignment.   Works pretty well.   I think it would really work good if the car didn't have a under-the-running board antenna

Jack Worstell    #7558

bcroe

That site doesn't work for me. But there is plenty of support for solid state
vibrators on the internet.  Good to read up; I would definitely prefer the style
with the switching frequency determined by the new electronics. 

Properly restored, that radio should work well.  Noise generated by the engine,
and the antenna, will limit it, and maybe the speaker arrangement.  Bruce Roe

Ed Eckhart #12747

jackworstell

BCROE.......I can't recall....when the vibrator also does rectification....is it synchronous or non-synchronous ??

Jack Worstell      #7558     jlwmaster@aol.com

bcroe

Quote from: jackworstellBCROE.......I can't recall....when the vibrator also
does rectification....is it synchronous or non-synchronous ??
Jack Worstell      #7558     jlwmaster@aol.com   

The contacts to the power trans primary and secondary windings make it synchronous,
that goes away when diodes or a rectifier tube is used.  When I was in grade school,
salvaged stuff like that was what I learned radio from.  Bruce Roe

jackworstell

....so the original vibrator that came with the Wells Gardner 5X....would you describe it as synchronous or non-synchronous ?

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

bcroe

Quote from: jackworstell
....so the original vibrator that came with the Wells Gardner 5X....would you describe it
as synchronous or non-synchronous ?    Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com 

The vibrator, with 5 or 6 pins, has the 2 set of contacts working together, so its
synchronous.  Other approaches were a 6X5 rectifier tube, later the 0Z4.  After the
war we developed good silicon diodes. 

I am lately trying to get a 40s GE Mod LB-530 PORTABLE AM radio going, it uses a single
rechargeable 2V wet cell and a special 2V synchronous vibrator.  I have about abandoned
the idea of finding a vibrator with 4 good contacts, but a few semiconductors snuck in
should make it work.  Leaving the vibrator for the original sound effect.  Bruce Roe

jackworstell

Just   2V ?   How much plate voltage does it generate ?

Jack Worstell

bcroe

Quote from: jackworstell
Just   2V ?   How much plate voltage does it generate ?    Jack Worstell 

Of course the rechargeable lead-acid is quite robust, like 1/3 of a small car battery,
and directly powers the usual 1.5V directly heated portable radio tubes (through a
resistor).  These tubes usually ran from a (VERY EXPENSIVE) 90V B battery,
replaced with the vibra pack.  The transformer can be wound to deliver whatever
voltage is needed.  Bruce