News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1951 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible-Royal Parade Car

Started by Davidinhartford, February 13, 2013, 03:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

How did I miss this one?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=665.5&aid=363

This handsome 1951 Cadillac, with its distinctive clear vinyl top, has a dash plaque saying it was used as the Royal Parade Car by Princess Elizabeth, prior to her accession to the throne, and the Duke of Edinburgh during their 35-day tour of Canada in 1951. Completely restored to original form, as attested by the original GM invoice showing the car's shipment from Detroit into Canada. Car has no other documents. This distinctive car features a 331 CID V-8 engine with 4-barrel carburetor and larger radiator to prevent overheating in parades, automatic transmission, power steering, beige power top, power windows, and signal seeking radio. The unique clear vinyl top, easily mounted by one person with the canvas top stowed. This car is one of two known Series 62 Cadillac convertibles used during the Royal tour. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police drove the cars and provided security. At the conclusion of the tour the RMP provided brass dash plaques, as affixed to this car's dash, for those cars used by the Royals. Used sparingly, the car has been well maintained in an environmentally controlled environment.

Walter Youshock

Looks like one of those plastic rain bonnets she wears.  How did they keep it from fogging up?

Very interesting car.  There was a question some time ago as to the whereabouts of the '57 Seville they used with the Plexiglas roof.  Maybe that will surface someday.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jay Friedman

Cadillac didn't officially introduce a 4 barrel carb and power steering until '52.  I wonder if the factory specially equipped this '51 was with these features a year in advance or did an owner add them later. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Walter Youshock

Given the less than regal manner a person must enter and leave the rear seat of a coupe, it's a wonder why they used them.  I like the idea of the bubble-top limousine, though.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

veesixteen

That car and a similar one, with an identical folding, plastic "rain top" (but not a Cadillac) were used during the Royal visit in October 1951. I'm not sure this was the car used throughout the tour; it certainly does appear in a number of scenes while the queen was visiting some of Canada's western ptovinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia). At one point, the commentator remarks: "...overnight (in Winnipeg) they built a plastic hood for the Royal car."
see: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/across-canada-with-princess-elizabeth-reel-1 (2.41-2.50, 5.44.5.56, 600-606, 6.69.6.31; reel 3.35-3.44 shows a different car)
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Davidinhartford

Each of the "Big Three" provided cars for the visit.  As they also would do for the Queens visit in 1959.

That's a great video!    Definately a Lincoln in use in the beginning,  The Lincoln followed by the Caddy, then a quick glimpse of a Chrysler/Imperial convertible.    That was a good view of the plastic top on the Caddy later in the video too.

Oh,  and I loved the BOAC Boeing Stratocruiser they arrived in.   So rare to see those.

Walter Youshock

I think the Imperial ended up in a small museum in Niagara Falls.  I seem to remember seeing it back in the late '70's along with one of Winston Churchill's cars.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on February 15, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
Each of the "Big Three" provided cars for the visit.  As they also would do for the Queens visit in 1959.

That's a great video!    Definately a Lincoln in use in the beginning,  The Lincoln followed by the Caddy, then a quick glimpse of a Chrysler/Imperial convertible.    That was a good view of the plastic top on the Caddy later in the video too.

Oh,  and I loved the BOAC Boeing Stratocruiser they arrived in.   So rare to see those.

Wonder why, they didn't bring over a Rolls for the visit.

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on February 13, 2013, 03:14:04 PM
How did I miss this one?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=665.5&aid=363

This handsome 1951 Cadillac, with its distinctive clear vinyl top, has a dash plaque saying it was used as the Royal Parade Car by Princess Elizabeth, prior to her accession to the throne, and the Duke of Edinburgh during their 35-day tour of Canada in 1951. Completely restored to original form, as attested by the original GM invoice showing the car's shipment from Detroit into Canada. Car has no other documents. This distinctive car features a 331 CID V-8 engine with 4-barrel carburetor and larger radiator to prevent overheating in parades, automatic transmission, power steering, beige power top, power windows, and signal seeking radio. The unique clear vinyl top, easily mounted by one person with the canvas top stowed. This car is one of two known Series 62 Cadillac convertibles used during the Royal tour. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police drove the cars and provided security. At the conclusion of the tour the RMP provided brass dash plaques, as affixed to this car's dash, for those cars used by the Royals. Used sparingly, the car has been well maintained in an environmentally controlled environment.

Ah!  The good old days, when a basic Cadillac was tweaked, for use by the heads of state.  One could buy the same basic car, and have "bragging rights" and say this is the same model that the Queen rode in.  Todays Presidential Limo "The Beast", besides maybe the grill and tail lights is a far cry from looking like the production Cadillacs.

Davidinhartford

I came across a few more pics of the car when new.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Looks like it was a rainy chilly day. The windows were up and four people were inside. I wonder how they kept that top from steaming up? Either it was chemically treated or they all held their breaths.

Dave Ventresca

looks like 2 cars were involved. or were the drivers spotlite and the r.h. door mirror added later?Dave

Tito Sobrinho

The first car showed in Yann's film, the dashboard belongs to a '51 Chrysler Imperial.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

JDPerrin

If anyone still has an interest, my grandfather owned a black with brown leather 1951 Royal Tour Cadillac convertible, complete with the fire extinguisher, mounted in the front passenger footwell. He traded it in Winnipeg Manitoba in 1962 for a new black with red leather Thunderbird coupe. I have the original thank you letter and a photo of the car in Fort William-Port Arthur both from Buckingham Palace.

James Landi

Power steering reservoir and pump looks like the one on my '56.     Happy day,   James