News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Engine rust

Started by Bob Kielar, October 23, 2017, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

Went this weekend and looked at some 55 Cadillac parts. There is a engine and transmission for sale but the heads,intake and exhaust manifolds have been off for over ten years. I know this is probably hard to tell but how much rust on the cylinders makes this engine unusable?

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Rob Leech

If the engine has been in a dry place and surface rust is in the cylinder, it will generally clean up with what we used to call a dingle berry brush. It spins at high speed in the cylinder and cleans up the rust and scratches. If the cylinder has had standing water in it from a leaking head gasket or rain water, then the engine should have sleeves installed in the cylinders.That would be an expensive fix. I would look on before I sleeved the engine. You can generally tell if standing water has been in the cylinders, the rust will be severe.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible

fishnjim

Does the crank turn by hand?   If so, inspect the cylinder walls.   If pistons are out, then the hone would be a good move, look for pits, cracks, or other visible defects.   Only a machine shop and die penetration will tell for sure.   Good chance to deal down.   Even if the look good they still might not be.   After all things are taken aparts and set for a reason...   Caveat Emptor.

TJ Hopland

If the pistons are not in the block they usually clean up fine.    With pistons as long as there wasn't ever standing water in them they can usually be broken loose and cleaned up without too much trouble.  If there was standing water then it could be bad.  Standing water for a couple years can cause pitting that could not even clean up with a 60-80 thousands cut which is usually as far as most motors go easily.

If it is rusty start soaking it before you try and turn it.   If you have a few months to wait keep soaking em and the may come loose with special force or tools.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Kielar

I have not purchased the engine as of yet it comes with the transmission. What do you think would be a fair price for both?

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bob Kielar

What do you think I should offer 50,100,200?
Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

cadillacmike68

It depends on whether the item you really need most is the block.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike