News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1975 Sedan deVille $5500 60,000 miles

Started by BJM, February 16, 2018, 11:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/1975-cadillac-deville/6493191303.html

This is not mine.  What do you experts think of this one, subject to inspection. I think the price is a bit high, I prefer Fleetwoods but, nice color, appears nice shape, I like 70's large cars, need a Cadillac to drive while I restore the Eldorado.  I am thinking it's a great $4000 car. 

Content:
1975 Cadillac Deville
4 door
All Original
Big V8
60,000 miles, original
New rear tires
New a.c. compressor
Will not find cleaner car
$5500 OBO
Text 402-649-6159

jagbuxx #12944

For the money, it sure looks complete and well preserved.
Especially if it checks out and a/c works.
My 2cents
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

35-709

Looks nice, says $5500 OBO, make an offer if the car checks out OK.  Be prepared to own it.  If the AC doesn't work that is a good bargaining point.  Seems like you can always figure $1000 to fix an AC system.   ;D
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

e.mason

Looks great in the pictures.  If it looks the same in person and everything works.  Meet 1/2 way and offer $5,000.00 CASH!  Money talks BS walks.  Look at it this way.  What would be the tax on a new Cadillac?  At 6% it would be around $3,000.00!  For $5,000.00 you could have all the comfort and luxury of a past Cadillac, with lower maintenance and insurance cost.
Eric Mason

BJM

I just sent a note to the seller, to start a conversation.  These are specialty cars now, not practical to drive. So, I do not feel it will sell for $5500.  I agree the photos are important.  The one overhead rear passenger quarter shot for me, sells the car.  I am in the Buick Club (BCA) as well.  I like the 75-76 Electras - same body - because they were still 4 door hardtops but they had that great rear "opera" fixed window. 

For me the big negative is the bottom of the line seat upholstery which looks a bit "weak" or thin.  I would have preferred "velour" or even vinyl.

We will see.  Last year about this time I looked for a 70 to 82 Cadillac to own and found several low mileage (80,000 or less) cars in a circle in and around Iowa for no more than $4500.  A 38,000 mile 73 Fleetwood was just parted out for lack of buying interest. 

67_Eldo

It's inside the NADA window, price-wise. And it is one of the few of that vintage I've seen that has intact plastic bumper fillers.

Carl Fielding

As you say , Bryan , there are still low mileage 472 - 500 big Cad sedans resting here and there. This is a car for someone who just LOVES the color and interior. Keep in mind that if the original water pump has not been replaced yet , it is now time. In this case , radiator and hoses too. While you are opened up , this is the time to get that nylon cam gear outta there. Suspension bushings , and a few more etc's. As someone who has enjoyed your car hunts for years , my advice to you is take a pass , unless the above repairs have already been done. Good hunting my friend !    -CC

e.mason

Quote from: BJM on February 17, 2018, 11:19:32 AM
I just sent a note to the seller, to start a conversation.  These are specialty cars now, not practical to drive. So, I do not feel it will sell for $5500.  I agree the photos are important.  The one overhead rear passenger quarter shot for me, sells the car.  I am in the Buick Club (BCA) as well.  I like the 75-76 Electras - same body - because they were still 4 door hardtops but they had that great rear "opera" fixed window. 

For me the big negative is the bottom of the line seat upholstery which looks a bit "weak" or thin.  I would have preferred "velour" or even vinyl.

We will see.  Last year about this time I looked for a 70 to 82 Cadillac to own and found several low mileage (80,000 or less) cars in a circle in and around Iowa for no more than $4500.  A 38,000 mile 73 Fleetwood was just parted out for lack of buying interest.

I always found the cloth seats of that era less then desirable.  Here is an example from a '74 Eldo.
Eric Mason

BJM

Eric
I agree, and that fabric in the car in question appears a bit faded as it should. It's not a deal breaker, but probably not a selling point.   I am normally not a red fan, but that's a nice red and the vinyl top even looks nice. 

e.mason

Quote from: BJM on February 17, 2018, 05:05:16 PM
Eric
I agree, and that fabric in the car in question appears a bit faded as it should. It's not a deal breaker, but probably not a selling point.   I am normally not a red fan, but that's a nice red and the vinyl top even looks nice.

I believe that color is called Firethorn, a really nice color.  Looking closer at the picture of the front seat.  It appears as though there is duct tape on the drivers door arm rest. Very common for these to rip.
Eric Mason

BJM

I finally received a response from the seller. I emailed him last week with my $4000 offer and received no reply.  When I browse CL and send out emails asking for more information or making an offer, my return replies are about 25% (2.5 out of 10).  Why run an ad and not reply, even if it is a kind "no thank you." 

Anyway, this time I texted him and got a reply that the lowest he/she would go is $5000. 

It will continue to sit.

EAM 17806

Quote from: BJM on February 23, 2018, 10:50:45 AM
I finally received a response from the seller. I emailed him last week with my $4000 offer and received no reply.  When I browse CL and send out emails asking for more information or making an offer, my return replies are about 25% (2.5 out of 10).  Why run an ad and not reply, even if it is a kind "no thank you." 

Anyway, this time I texted him and got a reply that the lowest he/she would go is $5000. 

It will continue to sit.  I doubt it.  If you like the style in and out and it is in good shape you better grab it.  What kind of a good car are you going to get for $5000.00. This car has HEI  ignition and burns only unleaded gas, it has a 500CU engine and gives you a real nice gliding ride.  Look around and see what these good cars are selling for before you blow a decent deal.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

BJM

Ev:
$5 large is too much, but I agree it is a fair price.  :-X   I am a cheapskate and do not want to overpay for cars.  I have lost in the 6 figures on cars so now I am careful about what I buy.  If I overpay, I make sure I am in love with the car and will keep it a long time. 

70's big cars are increasing in price and still represent a good value.  You can not come close to the value of 70's Cadillacs priced at $5000 like this one.  But I think I can do better and every $1000 saved is money to put into the 68 Eldorado, trips, other hobbies. 

Buying the car "right" is part of long term ownership satisfaction.  There is a lot of inventory out there.  If this 75 was so hot, price - value wise - it would be gone by now.