News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Engine rebuilders

Started by tc76ldovert, March 15, 2018, 09:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc76ldovert

I am looking for member recommendations for an engine rebuilder in the Lancaster,  PA area. My 76 Eldorado vert locked up unexpectedly after going in for a tuneup and general service. What I thought was slipping fan belts might have actually been a hidden problem but the engine was so quiet overall it's a real shock.

I am not looking to hot rod it just rebuilt for reliabilty.

Thanks,
Tom

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What kind of service was it on for? What did they do to it? General service isn't going to kill an engine so something happened.
My first question would be to ask you to define "Locked Up." Did it do this while driving? What indications did it give you when it happened-- oil pressure, knocking, milkshake, etc.
Just seems like something else is going on here and it may be worth asking questions here before you spend all that $$. I am certainly not an expert, but there are several here that are. Please give as much information as possible.
Jeff
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

tc76ldovert

Jeff,
I have only had it a short time and had it top my mechanic for a tune up,  carb rebuild, from bearings, hood hinges... nothing internal. He did say that it seemed low on power even for a 76.
He took it for a road test the day I was going to pick it up and when he went to start it to move it the engine was locked/Frozen. He said when he tried to manually turn the engine it was way tighter that it should be and hard to move.

Being a 76 there are no guages so I had no way to know about oil pressure but no lights ever came on. I have only driven it a few times myself with winter here in PA but when I would rev it up it sounded like slipping belts.
Thanks
Tom